Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why does my stomach hurt in these situations?

Anxiety and Stress - Anxiety Disorders: Hey, lately i have been noticing that when ever im about to go out somewhere and leave the house my ...

Hey, lately i have been noticing that when ever im about to go out somewhere and leave the house my stomach will hurt me. Usually it will hurt me in the car going to the place, and often it will hurt me at the place, and until i go home it stops to hurt. Im not sure if im nervous about anything, but i know im often scared that i might need to go to the bathroom in a very embarrasing point of the night and i think thats why i get nervous

- I'm very social and not scared to talk to people
    - I work out alot, almost 4-5 times a week
    - Finacially im pretty well off
    - No stress in my life at all

I recorded for the past 3 days when it would hurt me..
    1) went to pick up my sister from work which was about a 1/2 drive from my house, i think my stomach started to hurt me when i was in traffic (i'm thinking its because it was a certain place where i couldnt leave)
    2) Went out with one of my friends, as soon as she got in the car my stomach started to hurt.
    3) went to drop my girlfriend home, felt like a very crampy feeling.

Times it doesnt hurt but usually does when with people
    - At the mall, it used to hurt when i was at the mall, until i went alone and all was fine
    - At school it would sometimes hurt but now im ok

ANyone have any suggestions.....the doctor wants to give me ANTI-DEPRESSANTS which i dont want to take.

2. Advertisement
  3. Why does my stomach hurt in these situations?

Hmm. You might be suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. That can cause a cramping pain, especially at times of stress, accompanied by diarrhoea or constipation (usually diarrhoea).

Here's a link that will tell you about IBS. If the symptoms match, this may give you something to take to your doctor and discuss:

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibs/

The reason your doctor wants to give you "antidepressants" is that modern SSRI medications are also helpful in treating conditions other than depression, including anxiety disorders and eating disorders.

5. Why does my stomach hurt in these situations?

Hi Shrwed,

It seems like your stomach gets upset when you get into a situation where you are afraid to get embarrassed. You write: "But I know im often scared that i might need to go to the bathroom in a very embarrasing point of the night."

I do not really know what you mean by that point of the night (sorry, English is not my native language!) but perhaps it is the same thing as not being able to go to the bathroom when you are with strangers. Only at home it feels safe (you cannot get embarrassed) and there you have no problems.

And apparently it bothers you so much that your stomach tells you that by getting upset.

So the question comes up: do you feel you can really be yourself with your friends and relatives? Do you feel safe with them?

its not that, i feel very safe. It hurts when i go to the local bank, or even to pick my sister up from work, or even stuck in traffic.

right now im taking dicetal, the doctor said it will help if it is IBS. So far its the third day on the pills and i feel no different. : (

7. Why does my stomach hurt in these situations?

Hi Shrwed,

Hmmmmzzz... not easy this!

You feel safe you say.

I copied this from your first post: "Hey, lately i have been noticing that when ever im about to go out somewhere and leave the house my stomach will hurt me."

Since your stomach (i.e. your body) can talk (!) it is trying to tell you something. Now the thing is... what....?

So many reactions can occur without you actually noticing anything strange in a situation but your body never lies.

I think that you are unaware of what you really feel or something. What is it exactly that you are scared of, I don't really get a picture. (You wrote: "but i know im often scared").

Can you try to think this over....?

I think im scared of having to go to the washroom but not having a washroom to go to. Unless i drink camamila tea im ok for a bit then it hurts a little later on in the day.

I work out alot but lately because of thsi stomach problem i've lost alot of weight and mass. Im 6'5 200lbs. i lost about 10lbs in the past two months of mass. which is alot.

Since i've ruled out what im scared of, how do i fix this?

9. Why does my stomach hurt in these situations?

Hi Shrwed,

You wrote: "Since i've ruled out what im scared of, how do i fix this?"

This might be my language difficulty but earlier in your post you mentioned getting scared when you don't have a washroom to go to. So I don't hope you will rule it out, unless you don't want to go into this further. That is up to you.

So I don't really know whether you would appreciate any questions.

(For now, just one: what is a washroom exactly? I cannot find it in the dictionary.)

"washroom" is a (mostly North American) term for "bathroom", "toilet/toilette", "loo", "WC/water closet", etc.

11. Why does my stomach hurt in these situations?

Ah ok, thank you! My dictionary translates in British English.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast