Advertisement

Counteracting negative marijuana effects...

General Support and Advice - Welcome to Psychlinks Psychology Self-Help & Mental Health Support Forums: I recently read that marijuana use in adolescence is especially bad. i was just curious because i smoked alot of ...

1. Counteracting negative marijuana effects...

I recently read that marijuana use in adolescence is especially bad. i was just curious because i smoked alot of marijuana when i was 15-17 (2 years ago) if the negative effects it produces on the brain are long term and if there is any way to eliminate them? thanks for any input.

2. Advertisement

Where did you read such information? Do you have a reliable link you could post?

I, like you, smoked fields full of pot when I was a teen, and quite enjoyed it. I would still smoke it now if I had the money and opportunity, though I admit it doesn't have the appeal it did as a teen.

Most of the research I have seen for marijuana suggests there is no long-term negative effect on the brain. I know plenty of my peers who smoked pot with me in High School who are now engineers, managers, accountants and doctors. This, no doubt, is a rather worthless anecdote, but I don't feel that there are any long term effects in myself. I think my issues stem from something well beyond THC. Adolescent smoking of pot is probably more of a symptom of something else than an end in itself. However, I could be wrong (yes, it would be the first time), so I would like to read whatever info you have come across.

Most of the research I have seen for marijuana suggests there is no long-term negative effect on the brain. I know plenty of my peers who smoked pot with me in High School who are now engineers, managers, accountants and doctors. This, no doubt, is a rather worthless anecdote, but I don't feel that there are any long term effects in myself.
    If you still believe that, you simply haven't been keeping up with the research. There is now a lengthening list of adverse physical as well as psychological/emotional effects of long-term or heavy cannabis use (including inhibition of testosterone production in males and eventual feminization, to name just one). In certain vulnerable people, the effects can be especially disastrous.

As with anyone else, my position is that if you are an adult it's your personal choice. But at least make that an informed choice. Pro-marijuana propaganda or anti-marijuana propaganda - it's all the same - it's all propaganda. Read the actual research and get the information first hand. If you're an adult and you choose to use AFTER informing yourself about the risks, I'm fine with that. If you are simply closing your eyes to the data in a blind belief that there are no risks, you are doing yourself a serious disservice.

There is now a lengthening list of adverse physical as well as psychological/emotional effects of long-term or heavy cannabis use (including inhibition of testosterone production in males and eventual feminization, to name just one). In certain vulnerable people, the effects can be especially disastrous.
    I have heard this, yes, but I have also heard other reports about how this is all hype. It seems reasonable to believe that marijuana does have adverse effects, but as far as the long term effects I am just not sure I buy. Perhaps it is more dangerous for a teen to consume marijuana since their bodies are still undergoing the essential hormanal changes needed to reach adulthood, but I would be interested to see if there are definitive studies indicating this is a definite long-term and lifelong problem.

I have seen other reports that claim pot is responsible for increased risk of depression, but these are probably just correlative reports, as we are still left with the chicken and the egg problem. Does marijuana cause this depression directly or are depressed people simply more inclined to partake in marijuana usage in an attempt at self-medication? I know I was both clinically depressed and a marijuana user as a teen, but correlation does not equate to causation.

Again, I could be wrong for the first time in my life (grin), and admit it has been a while since I have read any serious research on it.

Regards.

admit it has been a while since I have read any serious research on it.
    I suggest you stop reading the propaganda (from either side of this issue) and actually go to the source (the research data) yourself.

It is not hype.