More threads by white page

Hi ,
I'm writing about this ,in order to try and calm myself down .
I have been spending a cocooning day , trying not to think about anything much. There are some stressful things going on , and thinking about them isn't going to resolve them.

I was very happy in my little cocoon , and out of the blue someone knocked on the door , this just totally plunged me into terror , I tried to see who it was through a side window , and saw that it was an unknown man , ( all the people who know me call my name when they knock , in fact we all do that here in the country ) I shrunk back , and waited , he knocked on the window .
I stood petrified inside my house for ages not daring to move , until I was sure he wasn't there anymore .

My heart is still racing and I'm still trembling . All this is so very irrational , strangers have knocked on my door before , asking the way or trying to sell things. I never reacted with such terror in the past .
I am not in a vulnerable isolated place ,there are neighbours close by .And this certainly not a crime zone.

What happened ? why did I over react in this way ? Why did I feel so threatened by an unexpected knock on the door from a stranger .?
This is certainly not a normal reaction , and certainly not at all nice towards the man who knocked on the door , probably wanting to know his way.

I feel so stupid about it now and sorry for the guy who got no response .

Jazzey

Account Closed
Re: An unexpected panic attack.

What happened ? why did I over react in this way ? Why did I feel so threatened by an unexpected knock on the door from a stranger .?
This is certainly not a normal reaction , and certainly not at all nice towards the man who knocked on the door , probably wanting to know his way.

I feel so stupid about it now and sorry for the guy who got no response .

You reacted this way because you have a lot going on in your life right now WP. You're not describing anything that I haven't done myself on a few occasions...I think it's just part of anxiety.

And don't worry about not opening the door to the man. You were probably not in any condition to answer him in any event. If it's truly important, he'll come back at some later time, when you're feeling better.

Try and find things to bring down the anxiety WP. Can you take a warm bath tonight? Do something that you enjoy doing? Painting?

I'm concerned that you're anxiety is so high right now - it means you're under a lot of stress. You need to bring that stress level down a little. Can you think of ways to do this?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'd also point out that this wasn't someone you invited into your home. He chose to knock on your door for his own reasons (half the time, something like that turns out to be someone trying to sell something I don't want, in my experience). It's like someone telephoning you - he or she makes the decision to call you; you are not obligated to answer the phone unless you choose to do so.

Thanks Jazzey ,
It is a relief to know that you've done the same thing .

You're not describing anything that I haven't done myself on a few occasions...I think it's just part of anxiety.

Yes a warm bath is a great idea ,
You were probably not in any condition to answer him in any event.
Very true , I wouldn't have been able to chat socially today . I would have glared at him maybe . I have just seen the funny side of it , he had a lucky escape
and the reputation of our commune is left intact for it's friendly welcoming inhabitants. :)

I"m glad I came here to talk about it . It seems less serious now. I'll do all I can to wind down tonight. My heart has stopped racing now thank goodness .

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

I'd also point out that this wasn't someone you invited into your home. He chose to knock on your door for his own reasons (half the time, something like that turns out to be someone trying to sell something I don't want, in my experience). It's like someone telephoning you - he or she makes the decision to call you; you are not obligated to answer the phone unless you choose to do so.

Oh yes , thank you for that Dr. Baxter , it was the uninvited intrusion of a private day which distabilised me . . That makes me feel better about it as well .
:)

ladylore

Account Closed
I was very happy in my little cocoon , and out of the blue someone knocked on the door , this just totally plunged me into terror , I tried to see who it was through a side window , and saw that it was an unknown man , ( all the people who know me call my name when they knock , in fact we all do that here in the country ) I shrunk back , and waited , he knocked on the window .
I stood petrified inside my house for ages not daring to move , until I was sure he wasn't there anymore .

I know this one all to well White Page. It got so bad at a point that I started to hear someone knocking on my door but it was in my head as no one was there. I understand the terror it can evoke.

A few things that have helped me:

I get up and check my door to see if it is locked and scan my place to ensure I am safe. Getting up and physically doing this helps a great deal. It prevents the freeze mode.

I also have a chat with my little one. The adult me assures my little one that I have ensured she is safe. She can hop out of the driver's seat and let the adult me take control. And thanks for the help.

I also imagine a safe place where she can go while the adult me takes care of business and her.

Hope some of this helps. :)

I also have a chat with my little one. The adult me assures my little one that I have ensured she is safe. She can hop out of the driver's seat and let the adult me take control. And thanks for the help.

I also imagine a safe place where she can go while the adult me takes care of business and her.

Hope some of this helps.

that is a wonderful coping strategy . You hit the nail on the head there .

I get up and check my door to see if it is locked and scan my place to ensure I am safe. Getting up and physically doing this helps a great deal. It prevents the freeze mode.

Yes , yes ,in hindsight it was awful feeling I couldn't move around in my own home . Thank you Robyn it does help very much .

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

Jazzey , that is spot on :D

ladylore

Account Closed
I'm glad.

Patience is also a good thing. It took me a bit before I automatically would get up and check. So if you find yourself back in the freeze mode, it's ok.

:hug:

Jackie

White Page,

I have done this a few times. Your spending some time alone, in your own world relaxing, happy and someone knocks the door, your expecting no one and suddenly you wonder who it is, what do they want, its like a total fear, thinking all sorts, wondering if you locked the door and windows properly, hoping they will go away, its like they have intruded on your world that you where enjoying its a strange feeling but I can relate. I suggest you go and chill out, have a bath, read or something, if It was urgent I assume everyone who you want to see or hear from has your telephone number so can contact you. It was proberly just someone selling something or a religious person touting their beliefs, try not to worry go do something nice and go back to your own little world:):hug: Love Jackie

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I relate too White Page. If I am not expecting anyone to visit, I never answer the door.

Like Robyn I often think I hear someone knocking when there really is no one there too.

I have a peek hole in the door, but I keep it covered on my side, so that when I look, the person doesn't notice.

I am sorry you felt this way White Page. Hope the anxiety has subsided for you :hug:

I hope you feel better soon.

Me it's when the phone rings at midnight and it's an old lady telling me to stop calling her or something or she has the wrong number but then that person calls a couple of more times then I turn off the volume of my phone and let the answering machine take the message. The volume on the answering machine is also on low. Then I am shaking scared out of my wits trying to fall asleep. That happened to me more then once.

Sue

Wow. I would have totally reacted the same way. It would freak me out if someone unknown knocked on my door like that. We live in the middle of nowhere and only neighbors or meat salesmen usually come to our house.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I hope you feel better soon.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.