More threads by HelpformyBrother

My brother became schizophrenic a few years ago after he used bath salts heavily for a few months. He has made amazing strides forward and has truly healed his heart, but not his brain. He still hears voices while on the best medication we have found for him and I don't want just accept this as his forever reality.

I'm looking for people out there like my brother or those who know people like him, trying to find stories of hope and people who have recovered from hearing voices and what that journey looked like for them.

GDPR

GDPR
Hi there.Welcome.

The same thing happened to my son when he did bath salts for an extended period of time.Fortunately for him,he did recover from it and is okay now and no longer meets the criteria for schizophrenia.It took quite awhile for him to be okay from the drug-induced psychosis though,I was afraid it was going to be permanent.

Unfortunately though,some of his friends are still ill from using it,and it was about 4 years ago.Bath salts is pretty scary and dangerous stuff!And I am sorry your brother is going through this.

GDPR

GDPR
You will not change what you are willing to tolerate

Loved that so much that I searched it online,found a little different version,and the author,and made it my signature.Thanks Steve,I have never read that one before.It can be a helpful reminder in so many different situations.Although your post wasn't meant for me,by posting you have helped me.

GDPR

GDPR
I guess I don't really understand what you mean because there was really nothing "I" could do to help him recover.The professionals know best how to treat your brother and I hope he improves,other than that there's not really much you can do to 'fix' him.

You may do better by just accepting what is,as hard as that may be,and whatever that may be.

I did not mean me personally help him, just wanted to get a feel for what kinds of treatments other people are trying. It's a very new drug so all treatments tried are basically trial and error. I just want to find other people with his story and see how they have recovered.

He still hears voices everyday and has a one year old son, accepting what is without getting as much info and help as I can would seem cruel.

If anyone can tell me what kinds of treatments and medications are working please share your story, or even pm me.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Sorry that I don't really have knowledge on this topic to offer, but I hope that your brother has a good experience with treatment and/or supports, and hope you'll keep taking care of yourself too.

I don't know the details of your brother's situation of course, but it may be that he can live a functional life despite having a certain level of symptoms if he takes good care of himself. Of course though I hope for him to eventually be symptom-free or at whatever level allows a good quality of life for him.

Kind wishes for your brother and for you... sorry for what you must have gone through seeing this hard hard thing happen in your family.

GDPR

GDPR
I am not sure what medications my son was given or anything by his psychiatrist.I am not even sure there are any,or what treatments are available to undo any damage the bath salts cause.I am assuming it's the same medications and treatment used for schizophrenia that's not caused by drugs.

I didn't mean to sound cold by saying to accept what is.I just meant it's possible it may be permanent,and you may have to accept that fact(you had said you don't want to accept this as his forever reality).My son just got lucky and recovered from it,maybe your brother will also.The psychiatrist thought it was schizophrenia,but it turned out to not be.

Is it possible your brother would have developed schizophrenia anyway,even without the drug,or was it indeed due to the drug?

And what is he doing to help himself?Is he able to care for himself,seek his own treatment?Is he already seeking help?

---------- Post Merged at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Bath Salts-Induced Psychosis: A Case Report

Bath Salts Drug , Induces Psychosis

Acute Psychosis Induced by Bath Salts: A Case Report with Clinical and Forensic Implications - Stoica - 2013 - Journal of Forensic Sciences - Wiley Online Library

---------- Post Merged at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:15 PM ----------

You might really be interested in this one...

Bath Salts Abuse and Mental Health Problems

Deana86

I also don't have knowledge in this field, however, my heart hurts to read what your poor brother is going through. I've seen what bath Salts do when people take this drug and it's scary, really really scary. I didn't know that people can become schizophrenia from it. I don't know much about thus drug at all besides what is shown on videos on YouTube.

I'm praying for a speedy recovering for him. Is he scared because he can still here voices? I can't imagine what that must be like. I just want to hug you and your brother, this has really touched my heart.

I'm from Australia, bath Salts isn't big here (yet) I hope it never becomes any bigger either. I would love to hear how the recover goes, it may be a while but if you could keep us updated. Your brother has my prays

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.