More threads by usul

usul

Hello,

does anyone know how CBT work with tics that keeps changing?

one relative has tourette but she keeps telling me that her tics are not always the same... although she has several tics (plenty) that she generally can manage, new ones keep on appearing while older ones disappear...

when i talk about CBT, she says that it might not work for her as her tics are not always the same...

any thought?

Retired

Re: CBT and tourette

Although I do not have first hand experience with CBT and tic suppression, my understanding of the proces is that the subject learns to understand the internal process of tic expression and then either actively suppresses or redirects the muscular energy from the initial premonitory urge to become something different. Therefore a tic to swing an arm into the air might become movements of toes inside the shoe, which might not attract as much attention, if the desire is to hide or redirect the tic.

The CBT process, according to my understanding does not target one specific tic but rather the ability to identify the internal tic expression process, and to actively use learned strategies to diffuse, suppress or redirect tic energy. Therefore, CBT used in this way offers a general srategy for dealing with one's Tourette.

However, it may not be successful for everyone, because the ability to gain voluntary control over the involuntary nature of the disorder varies geatly from one person to another.

I must re-state that I stand to be corrected on my understanding and interpretation of the literature on CBT and Tourette.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Addditionally, as with OCD where the compulsive behaviors can also morph or evolve over time, managing stress or anxiety using CBT and related techniques can be helpful.

usul

Addditionally, as with OCD where the compulsive behaviors can also morph or evolve over time, managing stress or anxiety using CBT and related techniques can be helpful.

interesting, the main point is that the most worrying tics (for her) are the OCD related ones like : "I need to touch XX"... and surprisely [sic] they key changing...

I should read related OCD literature

thanks David

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

my understanding of the proces is that the subject learns to understand the internal process of tic expression and then either actively suppresses or redirects the muscular energy from the initial premonitory urge to become something different. ....

The CBT process, according to my understanding does not target one specific tic but rather the ability to identify the internal tic expression process, and to actively use learned strategies to diffuse, suppres or redirect tic energy. Therefore, CBT used in this way offers a general srategy for dealing with one's Tourette.

that make sens for me...

However, it may not be successful for everyone, because the ability to gain voluntary control over the involuntary nature of the disorder varies geatly from one person to another.

interesting... my belief here is that only people beliefs will prevent them to gain voluntary control.... thus, when presenting the subject, i will neglect to add this point... saying instead that successful people are those who gain voluntary control over the involuntary nature of the disorder... and sometimes, it can take time... ;)

Thanks Steve

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.