More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
[h=1]Health Tip: Take Care of Yourself, Too[/h] HealthDay News
June 21, 2012

People who constantly care for others with emotional and physical problems often become stressed themselves. Signs of caregiver stress may include weight changes, problems sleeping, depression or frequent bouts of anger.

The Womenshealth.gov website offers these suggestions to help relieve caregiver stress:

• Seek help from friends and loved ones, and local community caregiving resources and support groups.
  • Don't be afraid to say "no" to requests that will require too much of your energy and time. Be realistic when setting your goals.
  • Know and accept that you cannot change everything, and recognize that there is no such thing as a perfect caregiver.
  • Stay organized by keeping lists, and prioritizing your responsibilities.
  • Maintain relationships with friends and family, and take time each week to do something that you enjoy.
  • Do your best to maintain a sense of humor.
  • Find time for daily exercise, and keep regular checkups with your doctor.

imbetts

I am fighting to take care of myself. I am single and raising my son (grandson) who has mental health issues. My other daughter needs me to watch my granddaughter and I feel like I am being stretched to thin. Some days are better than others but when he is in a downward spiral as he has been for the past week then I cannot cope as well myself because I am constantly on guard to watch him for signs of self harm and to make sure he will not follow through on the thoughts of suicide he is having. I try to reach out to friends but everyone is busy and it seems that although I tell them what I am going through they just don't get it and how hard and how serious things are. I really feel alone in dealing with this.

Retired

Are there any social services in your area that can help with some part time replacement so you can have a break?

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I'm very sorry Imbetts....

I wish that there was a better situation to help your grandson more effectively...

Considering his situation and the difficulty and stress that you have with keeping up, would he qualify to stay in a hospital or another facility/ service for a short while? Or as Steve says, other services that might be available to you...

Alternatively I don't know if there is another resource that could be used for your granddaughter sometimes...

imbetts

The mental health facility where my son is seeing a therapist have paid for him to go to the boys and girls club for a week for sports camp. This has helped a lot just to let me have some down time without having to worry about his needs for a time during the day. It is 5 days where he leaves at 7 am and comes home at 5pm. I didn't realize how much I needed this. He was going to respite but they were putting him in with some of the kids who have physical and mental disabilities where he was waiting for someone to spend time with him but they were very busy with the issues involved with these other kids, rightfully so. It was not benefiting either him nor I for him to keep going as it increased his stress, which has a ripple effect. Family used to take him at times for a weekend but no longer do this, it is a loss for him as well because he loved going to visit with them.
I will have to look further into what is available in the community for myself.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.