More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
How to Live in the In-Between
By Tonya Leigh, Just B Living blog
December 27, 2009

It seems like many of the self-help gurus have the “BIG wake up call,” the grand epiphany or the message in the bottle instructing them to change their ways.

It was not like that for me. Instead, it was hearing myself, day after day, say things like, “Man, this sucks,” and “God, there’s gotta be more than this.” These thoughts were accompanied by feelings of disgust and hopelessness around my body, food and my life.

However, you may know the routine. We say that we’re disgusted and fed up, but we don’t do a darn thing about it. We stay in that constant state of stuckness.

Well, I realized that I had to do something different, so my moment came when I made a choice to live my life differently.

Yep, it was just a choice that catapulted me into a very unfamiliar place, and:

-I didn’t know what was next

and

-I was scared.

When you decide to make changes in your life, you go to a place I refer to as the In- Between. It’s that awkward place of uncertainty and chaos. For my weight loss clients, it’s the time between when they make a choice to work with me and reaching their ideal weight. For a smoker, it’s that time between deciding to stop and actually becoming a non-smoker. For the newly divorced woman, it’s between the decision to divorce and learning how to live single again.

The In-Between is basically the time between the point of a major decision and the place where you take on a new identity.

Now, this may sound a bit woo-woo for some of you. I get it. I’m not really a woo-woo kind of girl, but just hear me out on this one.

Understanding how to navigate the in-between can change your life.

1. It starts with an event and/or decision

Linda had a heart attack at the age of forty-two.

Linda entered the in-between. She decided that living reactively and unconsciously in life was going to most likely kill her, and she really didn’t want to die, so she decided that she was going to change.

Sometimes entering the in-between is not because of a life-threatening event, but because you are really fed up with tolerating or settling for a less than stellar life.

The act of deciding is powerful and sets things into motion.

2. It is SO uncomfortable

As destructive as our habits can be, they are very familiar, and we tend to do what we know, even if it means stuffing ourselves until we are physically miserable. It’s a misery we know. We don’t know how to deal with the uncomfortable feelings of NOT doing it.

So, when you decide to change, it’s going to feel very strange and uncomfortable because it’s new territory. In fact, I’m not going to lie; it’s going to be down right hard sometimes, both physically and emotionally.

But, just knowing ahead of time to expect discomfort will help you navigate through the uncertain waters of change.

3. It’s temporary

The in-between is temporary. In fact, each moment is temporary.

This idea that our lives are fixed is a fallacy. It only feels that way when we continue to do the same things over and over again and keep getting the same results.

Where you are now is temporary. My grandmother used to always say,
“This too shall pass.” It always passes.

Everything, whether we label it good or bad, will transition to the next moment, so don’t fear permanency because it doesn’t exist.

4. Don’t try to get through the in between

The one mistake that I see people make over and over again is to try and hurry up to get “there.” However, there is no “there.” There is only “here.”

Instead of visualizing the in-between as a physical place, try to imagine that it is a state of being. As you begin to dissolve limiting beliefs, take action and transition into a new stage, the in-between dissolves, and you’ll find yourself right here, where you’ve always been.

The difference is that you will have new tools and a new way of being in the world that doesn’t live by false limitations. You’ll see the world through clean, fresh lens.

When you try to rush through the in-between, two things generally happen. First, you become extremely frustrated because your mind has fooled you into thinking that life will be better when you get there, so you keep putting off living your life fully now. Second, you miss out on your life and the lessons that it’s trying to deliver in each moment.

The only way to live is to live in the “here.”

5. The in-between is full of limiting beliefs

I have SO much weight to lose. I’ll never get there.

I can’t run.

I am disgusting.

I don’t have control.

Blah, blah, blah….

These are thoughts I hear all the time from my clients, and they are ones that I know all too well personally.

Here’s what you need to know about these nasty little mind messages: they are LIES!!!

However, we all have them. It’s what you do with them that counts.

So, when it comes to limiting beliefs, you have several options:

a. Believe it
b. Ignore it
c. Disprove it
d. Change it

Personally, if a thought feels bad, I know it’s not my truth. So, sometimes, I just ignore it, and say to myself, “There’s another one,” and get on with my day.

Sometimes, though, I can’t just ignore it. Maybe it hits a deep rooted nerve, or I need to prove to myself that it’s not true, so I go out and seek evidence against it. The interesting thing is that I can ALWAYS find evidence against it, just like I can always find evidence for it.

Beyond disproving a belief is the act of changing it. The Buddha said, “What we think, we become,” so finding beliefs that support who you want to become will change your life.

Do you want to be overweight, sad and lonely? Then, take a look at your beliefs. When you change those, your world will change.

6. The In-Between is perfect but it’s NOT for perfectionists

I know. It’s a paradox. Again, hear me out.

When I accepted my circumstances as perfect, I began to see all kinds of neat opportunities that I would have never seen had I been spending my time and energy arguing with my life.

A personal example was when I began to consider that my struggles with food and weight were perfect, I was able to extract the lessons that they were meant to teach me. In previous years, I had spent so much energy arguing with what was, that I was not able to move forward. Yes, I felt stuck.

However, on the flip side, you must give up your need to be perfect while residing in perfection. Trying to “be” perfect prevents you from taking imperfect action and moving forward in your life.

I like to think of the in-between as your college years without the sorority and frat parties. It’s when you are learning, growing and discovering who you are. It’s okay to screw up. In fact, you will, so stop trying not to. Just grasp the lesson and move on.

Here’s the way I see it: each imperfect action is perfect because it is your teacher and guide.

7. The In-Between can be lonely

People generally don’t like change, especially when those around them are transforming.

I can’t tell you how many times I heard some version of “who do you think you are.”

Those people had decided to no longer be on my team, and that was okay. Again, it was perfect because I learned.

When you decide to live your life consciously, you are going to find your elevator empty as you ascend to the next stage in life. It can be lonely.

But, the elevator doors will open, and you will find the most extraordinary people jumping on to advance with you.

8. It can be FUN

When I started creating my ideal life, I found it to be fun, in a scary-I-don’t-know-what-the-hell-I’m-doing sort of way.

However, when you understand the previous seven principles of the In-Between, you can begin to let go and enjoy your life right now.

Honestly, when I stopped trying SO hard, let go of attempting to get somewhere other than where I was and began to look at each moment as an opportunity to learn and grow, my life EXPLODED with joy and opportunity, and yes…lots of fun!

The In-Between is constantly occurring in your life – in your family, health, career, friendships, spirituality and community. Lives are cyclical, not linear.

When you accept the In-Between stage of life as part of living, with all of its chaos and uncertainty, you give yourself the gift of growth and expansion, and before you know it, you are right “here” again.

Tonya Leigh is a Martha Beck trained life coach and former nurse. Her website is Just B Living.

amastie

Thanks Daniel.
I think I'm very much in that place at the moment - and for who knows how much longer..
The words really struck a chord.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Learn to Trust Yourself: Coping With Uncertainty
by Cynthia Wall

...It’s natural to feel hesitation when considering moving toward anything new. We’ve all been victimized by the grand illusion that it’s necessary to feel confident of success before trying something new. Most of us pretend to have more trust in others and confidence in ourselves than we actually feel. We were fooled by how well others could act assured even with insecurity.

Young Joan Baez thought people could see her knees knocking together in fright, Frank Sinatra needed people to push him on to the stage, and Anne Lamott reached into the mail slot to try to retrieve her manuscript. Icons of extraordinary talent reveal how uncertain they are in the beginning of every project.

Although it feels good to know we aren’t alone, we still must face our personal fears. Once we make the commitment, the deep division within each of us can become filled with anxiety. Voices we barely recognize shout we can’t handle the stress that comes with quitting smoking, getting married, starting a business, or writing a book.

There is a formula to increase your confidence. It begins with the willingness to leap into a new idea knowing you could fail. The slim thread that keeps you safe is the belief that you will survive the failure and still be lovable. You are much bigger than any idea you will promote. All you need is the courage to commit, and take the first step toward your dream.
  • Courage lets you to face the fear of making mistakes, which leads to
  • Success and Failure. Learn from both, and you develop
  • Experience. Taking increasingly complex risks brings
  • Success. Achievements results in increased
  • Confidence. With confidence you dare take new risks.And so you need
  • Courage... and the cycle begins again.
...Uncertainty is the underlying principle in any new situation. If you believe things will work out, you’ll be more relaxed going into each of life’s experience. Practice believing the surgery will be successful, that you’ll definitely find a much better job after being laid off, and your kid will return home in good shape. You have the power to make your life far less stressful.

Given that you can’t really know such things, what can you do that balances a positive attitude with realistic thinking?

1. Choose to trust. Stress is a complex of many powerful feelings. Repressing or denying them increases accumulations of stress chemicals. You can reduce negative effects of stress more quickly by allowing the feelings to wash over you.

Admit feelings of fear, anger, concern, hurt, sadness, guilt, and inadequacy. Let them flow, write them down, and speak them aloud. Ask yourself, “What do I really want to happen instead? What am I willing to do in order to make that possible?” Do you have a new role to play or action to take? Or, if you are truly powerless, acknowledge that you can’t change anything. Focus on what you can accept and remind yourself “This, too, shall pass.”

2. Envision a desirable future. What would the next six months be like if you could design it? What would the life you truly want look, feel, sound, and taste like? What would you be willing to give up to have it? What habits or behaviors are you willing to change to bring about this wonderful difference? You will increase self-confidence and focus with such visualizations, and reduce the power that tension and stress have when you deny your dreams.

3. Turn your negatives into positive goals with small, distinct steps. Those who have clear goals experience less stress than those who feel entrenched in day-to-day responsibility.
  • Turn each problem into a challenge...
  • Focus on what you love about your life...
  • Take a small step toward bigger destinations and adventures...
  • Acknowledge your longing for authentic expression...
Full article

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
How to Survive Living in a State of Flux - Oprah.com

If you're human, you've had phases in your life when things are in flux. Maybe you're even in one of the following flux states right now:

Career flux:
Feeling that the career ladder you're on is very wobbly beneath your feet.
Love flux: Believing Cupid rhymes with stupid for good reason.
Money flux: Sensing you should rename your Amex Green Card your Red Card.
Maternity flux: Taking baby steps into a whole new life by creating a whole new life.
Home flux: Questioning where you're gonna be resting your weary head in the future
Education flux: Going through first-degree or second-degree college degree brain burn.
Technology flux: Enduring an upgrade you hope won't lead to a breakdown.

Yes, there are many varieties of flux. Yet it only takes two words to describe all of 'em: Flux sucks!

Thankfully, it also only takes two lenses to see your way clearly through flux—a long-term lens and a short-term lens. Basically, if you're enduring an anxious trip into the Land of Change and Uncertainty, a bifocal lens will ensure you better enjoy your travels...

If forward progress feels slower than you want, remind yourself that you can't rush the time and process of a flux. Everything has its needed time and process. For example, pregnancy takes nine months. Wanting to give birth faster will not necessarily yield better, happier results. Ditto for love flux or education flux or home flux. Those also have their specific times and processes...

If you're feeling as though flux sucks, first take a deep breath. Next, ask yourself, "Is my negative short-term lens or negative long-term lens giving me this stress?" Then, refocus on the lens that will empower you to feel at your happiest. Your bifocal lens goal is to enjoy your journey in the present while feeling confident that your journey's taking you to exactly where you want to go!

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I?m Surviving, Why Do I Need Self-Help? ? Hay House Australia

OLD ROUTINE: Setting goals and achieving them
Even if you?re already a wonderful person and a great achiever, you have an incredible amount to gain by discovering your life?s purpose. Goals have an end; your purpose is ongoing. You may have goals to save $50,000 in the bank or to complete a project on schedule. But a life?s purpose is living a life of fulfilment rather than a life of survival or achievement.

CHANGE TO: Living your life?s purpose
There are people who know what their life?s purpose is. They feel, with absolute clarity, what gives them a sense of what is important, worthwhile, and meaningful in life and live it everyday. But even if you don?t know your purpose or, rather, aren?t conscious of it yet, look to the peak experiences of your life ? the best times you?ve had, the most joyous times, times when you felt worthy, important or delighted. Then imagine feeling like that a lot more often. You already know which experiences, people and things you find attractive and which you find repulsive or indifferent. Discovering you life purpose is as simple as finding the common denominator in what you already know.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.