More threads by Retired

I believe they are different A sensory processing disorder noises in the background are distracting a humming of a fan or any background noise interfers with the brains ability to take in messages the noise disrupts the intake so when a child or person with sensory processing disorder is asked to do something they are not hearing all the words just bits and pieces of the sentence so cannot follow what is being asked of them

A highly sensitive person takes in too much information takes in everything emotionally and externally. They hold onto things more i think inside them . They become overwhemed with all the noise and light but can still process what is happening where with sensory processing disorder they cannot. just my take on the two

so what i am trying to say with sensory processing disorder too much noise is coming in so one cannot process information

and with sensitive personality they process all the information everything and store it inside them and are emotionally affected by it all.

PrincessX

Account Closed
Let me guess... I would think the sensory processing disorder is more about disrupted processing of visual, auditory or tactile stimuli, where as the HSP just has heightened emotional responses to the environment resulting from processing other types of information.
I do believe they are totally different disorders.
For example, one might be colour blind or not feel hot temperature of the water, but not sensitive to other people's remarks or opinions.
On the other hand, it is a tricky question, as both conditions often coexist in other disorders.
Of, course, I am just chatting here and not referencing scientific data of peer reviewers et al. I didn't read much on HSP, so please don't consider this particular answer as professional or scientifically verified...

Retired

I would think the sensory processing disorder is more about disrupted processing of visual, auditory or tactile stimuli, where as the HSP just has heightened emotional responses to the environment resulting from processing other types of information

This is the sense that I had in understanding the distinction between these two conditions. I am not sure if either or both is considered a formal diagnosis either. My curiosity is in response to a query I received in connection with some Tourette support work I do, and am trying to get a firmer understanding of HSP. There is a lot more information available about SPD on the other hand.

When reading an article such as What Makes a Highly Sensitive Person? | World of Psychology one gets the impression there is an overlap between these two issues, which, to this lay person, makes it more difficult to understand what, if any distinctions there are.

PrincessX

Account Closed
Hello Steve,
I read the article, partially because my knowledge on HSP is limited.
I didn't find an overlap between these two terms.
If anything, it appears that the Highly Sensitive person would get overwhelmed in the presence of variety or of high intensity sensory stimuli, they have no problem to identity the stimuli correctly by their name, but have a problem with heightened awareness and reactivity, which is not sensory (coming from specific sense) in nature. It seems to present more as emotional/ psychological reactions to what they see, hear, taste, touch.
The Sensory processing disorder person, on the other hand, seems to have difficulty with identifying the original stimulus right, on a plain sensory platform.

PrincessX

Account Closed
You are welcome. Others might want to contribute to this discussion, as my knowledge is not extensive or exclusive :)
Where I think an overlap might happen is with the so called "sensory overload". To my understanding though, the SPD people would have neurological dysfunction causing this condition, which could be explained, I think more as impairment somewhere in the neural pathways, whereas the HSP people might just be predisposed to an overreaction due to past experience, social interactions, inability to keep their self presence in certain environments (like feeling overwhelmed in a mall or at a concert).
In my experience, OT address more frequently sensory overload and overreactions when working with SPD. One difference between the way and SPD and HSP people process it, could be very detectable, when an SPD individual under-reacts, or is completely unable to recognize certain sensory stimulus/stimuli.
Like inability to detect certain smell or determine the texture of a material, and so on. These would be the "easy" cases. Some people could have permanent neurological impairment that makes the condition not treatable by OT therapy.

Retired

PrincessX,

Excellent resource site for SPD; one that I will consult in future for ongoing TS work.

Thank you for that.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.