More threads by Iron

Iron

I was released 3B (Medically) from the military almost ten years ago, diagnosed with PTSD after multiple operational tours. Upon my release I was offered retraining through the SISIP (Military long term disability/life insurance through Manulife) program but I was in no mental shape or form to even contemplate attending any type of formalized training and SISIP was obviously not interested in helping, they cut me and their financial loss loose the first chance they had.

I honestly don?t know how I?ve managed this long; I certainly can?t call what I?ve been doing ?living?. I put myself at risk, financially, physically and emotionally...not that I consciously mean to, I just identify the behavior after the damage is done. I pushed my wife, family and friends away looking to make it easier to just disappear. There were some better moments, Highs and lows but the highs were few, always being overshadowed by the darkness of my nightmares, depression, anger, anxiety and sleepless nights?Once again I find myself enduring a three plus month low.

Clich?; ?Time heals all wounds?? At one point I made a promise to myself, ?I would give it a go for ten years?if things weren?t better in ten years, I wouldn?t force myself to go on.? Ten years is now six weeks away. My position is no better; mentally I suffer, I can?t manage to hold a job down for any length of time, I can?t remember what it was to be happy. The only constant is that my wife is stubborn, through the dark times, even times when I was extremely cruel to her, she still persistently stays?Thus lies my dilemma, I don?t want to hurt her more than I already have, I know she would be better off without me dragging her down?. maybe I left this too long and should have cut loose allot sooner, will time heal her wounds. I don?t want to stay, I don?t want to hurt her more than I have, ?I?m truly lost and don?t, Maybe this is just a last effort before time is up.

Retired

Hello Iron and welcome to Psychlinks,

Have you been or are you receiving any form of therapy for the way you feel?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Steve's question is an important one, Iron. Time alone does not heal all wounds; I'm not sure it heals anything really. But PTSD is treatable, no matter how long it takes you to start that process.

Giving yourself 10 years to heal and then giving up is not fair either to yourself or to those who care about you, including your wife.

Hi Iron the military has failed you i think

Is there no way you can get a hold of veterans affair and get the therapy you need to heal

You have given so much to your country let them help you back now.
Call veterans affairs ok see if they can help set up some therapy to help you beat this battle ok.

With the right ammunition the right tools hun you can heal

It will be another battle but this one you can win with support you can

Give veteran affairs a call or your obudsman okay there is a program that will help vets with ptsd hun

Your wife don't transfer your pain to her hun not when PTSD is treatable

Iron

Hello Iron and welcome to Psychlinks,

Have you been or are you receiving any form of therapy for the way you feel?

I was diagnosed after returning from my last deployment, shortly after I started seeing a therapist that specialized in PTSD. The doctor I was was seeing was a contractor working in the military system who soon left the fold to start a private practice. This worked for me and was almost a positive change as I could continue seeing this therapist away from the base and she billed VAC directly. I continued seeing her for almost another two years until I was informed that she was no longer eligible for VAC direct billing, thus if I wanted to continue, I would have to pay her up front and apply for reimbursement from VAC. Due to my monitary situation at that time (jobless and struggling financially) I didn't have the means to pay up front, I contacted VAC about this issue and was told that there were many other therapists in the direct billing system that I could use... I already had huge trust issues (Military, VAC, SISIP) and I took me a long time to learn to trust the doctor I was seeing, starting with another therapist was not an option...that was about seven years ago.

Funny enough, also about the same time I registered to this BB.

---------- Post Merged at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Hi Iron the military has failed you i think ...

I believe the military is scared of PTSD and treated myself and others more as parts to be replaced...

I dont think the system failed, i think its working as designed, SISIP (Military insurance) took advantage of my situation and screwed me, VAC is over burdened and doesn't really care... What have I learned from this... None of them can be trusted to do the right thing as they are all connected and thus one and the same.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.