More threads by NicNak

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
My initial diagnosis was OCD, back in 1996. The primary symptoms at that time were checking and hording. With treatment with Luvox and therapy it subsided for quite a long time. I did have bouts of anxiety, but it was what I would say, compared to now, very manageable.

Between 2004-2005 after a tramatic incident, the racing and intrusive thoughts started. I started treatment with Risperidal and started seeing a Psychiatrist on a regular basis. Over time, the racing and intrusive thoughts became quiet. The self-harming started a few years later and that became quiet too.

My Mom has been on vacation for the past two weeks (she comes home tonight) I have been alone, just Jewel (my cat) and myself. I have been getting out on outtings with a friend quite frequently.

I think all things considered, having to do everything for myself, I have done good. :) and not having someone home for company, support etc.

I did notice, my checking and hording seems more evident. The nightmares have been more frequent.

My mom does offer me a lot of sense of calm. If I cooked dinner and accidently leave the stove on, she catches it and tells me what I did.

This past two weeks I have only used the stove twice and I would tell a friend on MSN that I was cooking with the oven and my friend would ask me to make sure I turned off the oven, just incase. Cause I do tend to forget a fair bit :blush:

I have came back home a few times to check things after leaving and getting downstairs. I have been double checking that I locked the mail box. I won't open the windows or balcony door cause I am afraid I will forget to lock them.

I am also hearing voices outside my head more and seeing shadows :blush:

I am for sure going to mention it to my Psychiatrist, cause now I am thinking like the artical http://forum.psychlinks.ca/obsessiv...lest-obsession-obsessing-about-obsessing.html

It has not escalated yet to the point of major upset, but I don't want to let this go too long. I have been there before and prefer to prevent it from getting that bad again, if possable.

Is it possable that, the change in home. Like Mom being away may have stressed me out more than I think and caused the OCD type symtpoms to show?

Thanks for any insight or thoughts. :)

ladylore

Account Closed
I'm glad your mentioning this to your Psych NN. It could very well be caused by stress. I know that anything new, good or bad, can cause enough stress at times that some symptoms do come back for a short time.

What techniques were you taught to help control the OCD that worked. My advice would be to write those techniques down so you can see them. Then start using them on a very regular basis.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I am for sure going to mention it to my Psychiatrist, cause now I am thinking like the artical The Cruelest Obsession: Obsessing about Obsessing

The self-book mentioned in that article is currently my favorite self-help book on OCD. Even if your symptoms improve (and they probably will), you may want to get a copy of that or more popular self-help books like The OCD Workbook, Overcoming Obsessive Thoughts, or Brain Lock. (Brain Lock is available at many public libraries and is the basis of The Four Steps article.)

And, of course, increasing the frequency of therapy can help.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.