More threads by adaptive1

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
How do I know if my medication is really working or it's a placebo,effect. I am confused because I have been reding in the media that antidepressants work no better than placebos, but my setraline seems to be helping my OCD. If this is a placebo effect than I would rather know now than continue to take this drug. I was taking seroquel too but I have cut down on it as its too sedating for me.

The media often presents opinions and poorly researched arguments as facts just to create controversy so that readers/listeners etc. will subscribe to that media source.

While I don't claim to know anything about medication, I would have thought that since you're finding it to be beneficial for your OCD, then it's a good idea to continue with it under the guidance of your doctor. Is there any particular reason you're questioning the medication now?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
How do I know if my medication is really working or it's a placebo,effect. I am confused because I have been reding in the media that antidepressants work no better than placebos, but my setraline seems to be helping my OCD. If this is a placebo effect than I would rather know now than continue to take this drug. I was taking seroquel too but I have cut down on it as its too sedating for me.

Stop reading that garbage in the media.

If it were a placebo effect, your previous medications would have worked for you too. If it's all about a placebo effect, why is it that many people have to try 2 or 3 medications within the same family of medications before they find one that works well?

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Thanks, you are right. I shouldnt read that stuff but I get sucked in by it and start worrying about it and the long term effects of being on medication. Probably because there is a lot of health issues in my family and I see media linking the use of drugs to things at times and of course I would rather not take anything. The best advice is I agree to stop reading it and checking things overand over. I will keep working on that. Thanks for the advice.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
It's understandable to wonder or worry sometimes. But always remember that many sources of media just simply want to find things that make the largest number of people go "OMG!!"

I get tired of the little 'science or medicine' snippets in many sources of media - excitedly reporting things about, say, coffee, chocolate, sex, wine, human relationships..... it's usually from ONE OR TWO studies, SUGGESTING a POSSIBLE link between something and something else. Rather than definite, clear, respected conclusions resulting after dozens and hundreds of studies over a good number of years - has to be new and sensational. (And notice how it's often things that are universal or affect large numbers of people.... or foods that we already enjoy and we want to hear a reason why it's good or okay to have it...... Or, vice versa, they'll play on the 'fear' side. We all have loved ones who use medication or we take it ourselves.... Or fears, biases, and alternative views already abound; and it's the typical topic that has many opposing viewpoints from informed vs. uninformed people. So just think how many people they can get to think "OMG!!" and worriedly read their link or tune in to their report; while at the same time,controversial information gets talked about more, posted on social media more, etc.... = more traffic.)

Heck, they probably check the quarterly sales figures for each drug, and choose an "OMG!! report based on whichever drug has sold the most lately! haha.

I always think, "Guys.... science/medicine isn't what you do..... You report the simple facts of the day's events, okay; let the medical journals report the science, once they know something really conclusive."

Last edited:

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Thanks, you all raised some good points and I met with my psychologist today anyway and haven't seen her for abit. She said to put a maximum of a two checking rule on everything and no more researching about medication. :eek:This is what I will work on for the next month. She said its just more compulsive behavior. It's so hard to keep it in perspective, I stop obsessing in one area and I seem to move on to obsessing and checking in another. I am going to try to keep things under control.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Another bad OCD day and I can't sleep for I have been checking things for hours. Sometimes I wonder if I lack motivation to really change. I want to stop this I do, tomorow is another day. I wonder if my medication is helping enough, I don't know, I guess I'm not helping enough. This is confusing. I will try again tomorrow .

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
So sorry Adaptive. Thinking of you.

I like the hopeful attitude that you keep gripping onto along with the struggle, so proud of you keeping that there; keep on holding onto that; it can be terribly difficult to do that in the bad times of a condition like this one. Or, when it is very hard to do that, it is okay to stop and have a cry, do something expressive, let emotions out in some way.......

Remember that your therapist is always there for the questions and difficulties that so often come up in the course of treatment and management of something like OCD. And we are too, and continue chatting to us as much as you feel like anytime, to feel supported and keep hopeful, or just distraction or whatever else. (Although with the exception of Dr B it's always possible that we won't totally understand every nuance or offer the perfect, tailored advice, for something like OCD where such specific and exact action is required.)

Man, the sheer ongoing confusion itself, when the mind that is trying to help itself and manage itself is a mind that has those terribly confusing and neverendingly doubtful OCD traits!!!!

Big hugs to you hun........... <3 <3

A setback is discouraging; we wish we could "disappear" it really quickly.... We can start to feel disappointed in ourselves when that doesn't happen. But these things are hard.

But you will get there; you will get on top of it again. I totally believe that you will. <3

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.