More threads by momof5

momof5

I'm just curious as to the different types of hormones that are out there for replacment therapy.

I have to say, that I haven't gotten my libido (sp?) back yet after the surgery.

I sometimes think that it could be part of the hot flashes and heated up feelings that I go through. The contstant sweating is so annoying. I'm thankful for a cool summer so far as I don't know how I am going to handle the hot and humid days.

right now I take enjuvia, and it is a very mild dosage, .3mg.

Do I need more then what this covers? Am I in need of testosterone as well as progesterone?

Any guidance would be extremly helpful for my husband ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired

Mom,

As you probably know Enjuvia is a plant derived synthetic estrogen hormone replacement therapy to treat menopausal symptoms as well as vaginal symptoms such as dryness and pain associated with decreased estrogen production.

You may have already read the information contained in the manufacturer's website at Enjuvia.com.

Your gynecologist would be the best resource to advise on the hormone therapy you require based on your medical history.

My understanding for adding progestin (the term for synthetic progesterone) would be in a woman whose uterus is intact, and who is being treated for relief of menopausal symptoms. The addition of a progestin causes withdrawl bleeding ( a hormone induced period) to protect against endometrial hyperplasia (Endometrial hyperplasia is a condition of excessive proliferation of the cells of the endometrium , or inner lining of the uterus )

Use of testosterone can help increase sexual desire in menopausal women with hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD), particularly in those patients who have had surgical removal of their ovaries.

I don't believe there is an FDA approved drug to treat HSDD. Many pharmacies prepare compounded testosterone formulations. Unfortunately, however, there is little published information that addresses dose, safety or efficacy issues with compounded formulations. Moreover, standardization between pharmacies (and even from one batch to another in the same pharmacy) is uncertain.

Something to consider with testosterone are the possibility of androgenic side effects including alopecia (hair loss) are well-known side effects of androgen therapy.

According to the prescribing information and published studies of Enjuvia, symptoms improved significantly after 12 weeks.

You may wish to consult with your gynecologist as to whether the symptoms you are experiencing are not being relieved at this time, either due to how long you have been receiving hormonal therapy, or because you require a dosage adjustment....and whether the symptoms may be the underlying cause of reduced libido.

Another factor may just be that you need more time to recover from the surgery, and that libido will return after you have had a bit more convalescent time.

You may also be interested in this glossary of terminology associated with Enjuvia and the subject of menopausal symptoms provided by the manufacturer.

In the interests of disclosure, I am not a physician nor a trained health professional, but as a lay person I do have a rudimentary understanding of this subject.

momof5

Steve,

thanks for the information that you provided above. One thing I didn't do, which I normall do, is look up the medication. So thanks for the link to the site.

I was wondering if the time of being on it has been one issue to deal with. Not being on it long enough, as well as post surgery recovery. April 9th was the surgery date, so not sure how long a recovery could be warranted before interest returns.

Curious if the hot feelings could just make me not be in the mood. Not that the interest is totally gone, it is just the thought of increases in the hot flashes and of course feeling so sweaty all the time doesn't make for an interested partner IMO.

I have both of your links open in tabs that you provided above, and I appreciate your time in posting them!

Mom

Just a note, I think I was getting terms confused, I meant to use Estrogen and instead used progesterin! Sorry about that!

Last edited:

Retired

Mom,

I don't know how long full recovery from this type of procedure takes, but I know most people who undergo major surgery need six to eight weeks for healing to take place.

April 9 to now is about nine weeks, and it seems plausible that full healing may not be complete.

That being said, the process of menopause whether surgically or hormonally induced changes many aspects of a woman's life, including attitudes and functioning.

It's a time that requires adjustment, patience, understanding and adjustment from both partners, and from my perspective and personal experience, especially from your partner.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.