More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Video Guides on How to Use Windows 8
by Victor Laurie
30 May 2013

When you get Windows 8, you are faced with the equivalent of a brand new operating system. Nothing seems to be where it used to be and the new Start screen filled with big tiles looks nothing like the Windows desktop we are so accustomed to. Very little in the way of introductory help comes with Windows 8. There is a very rudimentary feature but it falls woefully short of explaining how to use the new system.

There have been various attempts to fill the void with some helpful video tutorials (for example, here). Now there is a new offering from the Microsoft UK Higher Education Blog that users of Windows 8 should find helpful in learning about the strange new world of tiles and charms.

• Get To Know Windows 8: Goes over some of the new features. Explains the Start Screen, using the Charms, settings, and more.
  • Windows 8: Setup and use File History : Shows how to easily activate and set-up File History on your Windows 8 device. Also shows how to restore files using File History if files are lost.
There is also a new 36-page PDF guide from Microsoft called Windows 8 End User Training Brochure.

Vic Laurie runs several websites with Windows how-to's, guides, and tutorials, including a site for Learning about Windows and the Internet and another with Windows 7 tips.

Retired

Sometimes the retailer from whom a Windows 8 computer is purchased will provide some basic training in navigating the new system.

When my wife purchased her recent laptop from Staples, she was given a one on one introduction to Windows 8.

There is some chatter on Windows support forums suggesting Microsoft might introduce some changes to the much maligned user interface in November 2013, although much of the chatter is speculation at this time.

The frustration over the unfamiliar Metro interface can be eliminated by acquiring one of the third party add-ons that can be downloaded and installed on a Windows 8 computer that restores the Start button and Start menu, and allows the Windows 8 computer to boot up to the familiar desktop interface.

How to get the Start menu back in Windows 8 | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews

The utility I installed on my wife's computer is Classic Shell, an open source add-on that is free to download. It has been installed for over six months, has proven to be stable and has not demonstrated any unexpected behaviour

The only other unexpected modification Windows 8 designers have inflicted on users is to have re arranged the menu locations for the various Windows utilities such as Disk Clean, Defrag and desktop customizations such as wallpaper for the desktop and the lock screen.

A little bit of manual reorganization is all that's necessary for these, but all in all, Windows 8 appears to be stable and quick, with an amazingly rapid boot up time.

If Microsoft insists on sticking to its Metro interface, at least users have the option of installing an add-on that returns the familiar desktop interface.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I found another one I prefer when setting up a new Windows 8 Laptop for a student:

Start8 from Stardock

There's a "try it for free" option but the price is only $4.99 USD.

• Adds a start button to the Windows? 8 desktop
  • Adds an enhanced Windows 7-style menu to the Start button
  • Pin Windows 8 (Modern UI) apps to the Start menu
  • Boot directly to the Windows 8 desktop
  • Provides easy access to the Start screen

I've frequently been a fan of tweaking my OS with or without partitions Linux ect. Most windows based systems can be manipulated for various function which can void your warranty depending on how far you go with changing service values ect.

If you're careful and have some time to read through there are plenty of sites that provide information on how to customize your OS with your hardware. blackviper.com for one has been a favorite of mine since XP.

This isn't something I'd recommend if your not familiar with installing an OS from scratch but with some reading you can streamline your OS for everything from gaming to advanced networking to maxamize your system's capabilities.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Some Radeon graphics cards and similar products now have control panels which allow you to create profiles, e.g., optimized for regular work, gaming, streaming movies, etc., so it's quite a bit easier to do than it used to be.

Indeed those options have been available for sometime now.

With multi core systems and the like now you can run multiple heavy programs simultaneously with various service settings using individual cores with separate OS simultaneously.

Like running autocad on one, downloading on another and ripping. Specifically reserving memory ect for programs and the like outside of software program settings. I like to multi task and the more my system can handle the more I try to do with it.

Also for those who can't afford immediate upgrades to run certain programs it can be also provide an option for a temporary fix until they can afford new hardware or software.

making_art

Oh darn......do we have to change again? :protest:

---------- Post Merged at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:38 PM ----------

I'm switching to Mac...

making_art

I think I will prefer Mac...I'm hoping I can use a system longer without major upgrades...or is that just wishful thinking?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.