Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: How to Cope When Your Therapist Goes on Vacation

i guess you're right sunset, i re-read those tips and there isn't really much else one can do that i can think of. i'm anxious about the upcoming christmas break and was hoping for additional tips. it's all about self-talk i guess.
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius
    ~ it is the journey, not the destination, that matters
    ~ keep hanging on, the sun will come shining through for you again

Re: How to Cope When Your Therapist Goes on Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug View Post
    i guess you're right sunset, i re-read those tips and there isn't really much else one can do that i can think of. i'm anxious about the upcoming christmas break and was hoping for additional tips. it's all about self-talk i guess.
    Self talk is really a good thing. It has worked for me before and I am sure I will do more talking to myself if needed..
    I called my T this morning and we set up an appt for me to see him January 1st! I am soooo happy about that.

Why are you anxious? Maybe if you can pinpoint what you are anxious about, maybe I can offer another idea..

3. Re: How to Cope When Your Therapist Goes on Vacation

i don't know why i'm anxious. i guess just having to miss that support for a good while is throwing me off a bit. i'll figure it out.

i am glad to hear you have your new appointment scheduled you must be so relieved the wait is almost over
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius
    ~ it is the journey, not the destination, that matters
    ~ keep hanging on, the sun will come shining through for you again

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug View Post
    i don't know why i'm anxious. i guess just having to miss that support for a good while is throwing me off a bit. i'll figure it out.

i am glad to hear you have your new appointment scheduled you must be so relieved the wait is almost over
    Yes, I am very relieved and excited to start seeing him again. I have so much to talk to him about after a few months...
    When I get anxious, I try to keep myself very busy so I dont have time to think. Or I do something I enjoy, or read, or whatever I like to make myself feel better. Maybe you should just not aniticipate how you are feeling and just take it a day at a time.. Reflect and think of something you can do that is good for you and that you want to do.
    Happy Holidays to you!

Kind of like the therapist becomes the parent or 'significant other' in your life isnt it? I have a couple of anxieties about this

1. The client gets a kind of love relationship with the therapist but its an illusion. the client is just another patient to the therapist .. a number! Im not saying that they dont care, but well they dont all that much, its their job thats all
    2. Is it healthy to be so attached and dependent? Shouldnt therapy be about helping you stand on your own two feet?
    3. How do you "detach". A two week break causing so much distress would be devastating when it ends.

I am starting to feel very needy of the therapist I am seeing and this aspect worries me..

Havent read this article yet .. I'm just about to!

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good timing, my counsellor is off for 4 weeks vacation and although last year was a lovely break, this year is a total nightmare!

My therapist calls me at 11:59 pm at night, and on weekends including Sundays, to set up or cancel appointments. I am not sure how I should read this.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

I don't care when they go on vacation because I know they are coming back. I care if they are threatening to "let go" of me by u sing subtleties.

My therapist doesn't care to prepare me for anything - he's quite willing to drop me on the spot - has told me he doesn't care, and said he was cold and unfeeling.

He's approaching retirement age, and I see he's taking on an influx of patients - i have read some psychiatrists will just retire abruptly without any notice, or referrals for the patients. I have a feeling he is one such person, and I think that is morally and ethically wrong - then again, this guy has no scruples, as I have been advised by my GP who told me to report him to college for unprofessional behaviour. i am so sad, I had the great misfortune to fall into the hands of someone so callous when I know there are dozens of other good therapists out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12