Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. High Stress Jobs

I work at a pace that makes me dizzy sometimes. I have developed a few ideas over the past 30 years that may help you if you work in a similar environment. I believe it has saved me from going crazy and I am still able to cope and quite like what I do for a living.

1. Don't take your day out on your family. If I have had a bad day or one that was just plain overloaded I come home, drop my keys, call my dog, kiss my wife and go for a walk.
    2. While on that walk I set a goal. I want to see at least one new thing, bird, animal, person or plant. This gets my mind completely off work and before I know it, I am back home, sitting with my family and I am not sure where I left the days stress.
    3. Make "arms length" relationships with your clients. I guarantee you that if you get too close, you will not be able to cope and it isn't healthy for either you or your client.
    4. When I leave my office, I get in my car, glance up at the office building then take three deep breaths. This to me is symbolic of leaving it all there.

High Stress Jobs

This technique can be adapted even if you don't have a convenient place or the time to go for a walk.

My habit is to come home and head for my home office for 5-15 minutes. I'm in there ostensibly checking email but the understanding with my family is that I'm "unwinding", part of which is getting a few minutes where I don't have to talk or listen to anyone - they know that once I'm "unwound" I'll be out and fully available who any and all, but that time, except for a crisis or something else that demands my immediate attention, is "my time". Basically, it's understood by everyone that I haven't really arrived home until I come out of my office.

This system has worked well now for several years...