Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Other people and self injury

I was reading a women's message board today and there was a lady concerned about her son who stated he thought about hurting himself. I think the son is under 10. One of the women responded by saying to tell the boy that if he acted on it that would be "sin and bad." It made me feel sad. I just don't think that would be helpful. I also felt bad for myself. I know some people really believe that, but I don't think of self-injury that way.

Obviously it's not a constructive way to deal with things, but telling someone that doesn't seem helpful to me. I know it hasn't helped me in the past.

Anyone else have people say these things to them?

Janet

I've had people say ignorant things to me. I just tried to blow it off because they really don't have the ability to comprehend.

That's good. I am trying to do that too.

I posted anonymously on that board and said, in a nice way, to please not say that to the boy and to get him some help. I don't know if that was the right thing to do or not. Ugh, I just can't imagine being 9 or 10 and crying out for help like that and someone saying those things.

It's pure ignorance. I'm glad that you said something. The poor child should get help, not condemnation!

5. Other people and self injury

Quote Originally Posted by Ash
    I've had people say ignorant things to me. I just tried to blow it off because they really don't have the ability to comprehend.
    I agree right here. Most of the people who say ignorant things to me havent gone through it.