Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re: Depression and Menstrual Cycles

I notice a significant increase in anxiety and sadness about a week and a half before I begin my cycle. I also notice that I get "stuck" in my anxiety until about 1 or 2 days before --- and then I take immediate (and sometimes abrupt) action to rectify whatever the focus of my anxiety is. So, for example if I am feeling anxious and depressed about my body image and weight gain, I find myself running up mountains 2 days before I menstruate. Or if I'm anxious about not making enough money, I'll put together a mini business plan for some great new idea or apply for a 3rd job.

I'm glad I saw this thread cause I'm in PMS mode now and was feeling seemingly unbearable anxiety all day today. My fixation this month is the guy I just started dating. But after reading this thread, I'm reminding myself I don't need to form to any solid conclusions TONIGHT. I can also assume it's highly possible my panic juuuuust might be PMS induced.

Ah geeze, to be a woman.

Sue...i know what you mean. Since i started my period in my very early teens i did not have many strong symptoms...IF i had cramps they were very light. The only thing was, i'd get tired. Since i turned 30, everything changed. I go up two or three pant sizes because of bloating, and i become a completely different person. It's become worse in the last six months or so (i'll be 32 in a week and a half). I start changing about ten days before my period actually shows up. I become excessively tired..more like exhausted to the point where it's very difficult to wake up in the morning. I'm very weak and very weepy. I can cry at the drop of a hat.
    I've heard of this PMDD...i read about it and found that it is exactly what i'm feeling. I'm reluctant to start prescription drugs though.
    Have you seen your doctor about it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I go see my GYN on the 15th and will ask him to perform a specific procedure so I would very little period or no period. He offered that to me last year when my periods were irregular for a while but then they became normal. But now with my depression being the way it is and everything else going on in my life I can't afford to have that making me feel worse. My psychoanalyst agrees with me. Well I am 45 and with the meds I am on and single no chance to ahve a child that way so might as well get the procedure done.
    My mood swings starts a day before or the day of my periods and last a few days. Before I got treated for my ADHD my mood swings would start a week early.

Sue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Sue, sounds like you're making a good decision to see your GYN and ask about the procedure. Like you, I need to ensure I'm taking all realistic preventative measures to limit opportunities for a depressive episode. Keep us posted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You Healthbound

Sue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The same thing happened to me. I first noticed a shift in mood prior to my period as a teenager. As an adult, I am careful to avoid making any major decisions during the week before my period and avoiding stressful situations as much as possible during this time. I try to do something nice for myself such as a manicure or a facial. I avoid shopping as I risk overspending or buying something stupid that I do not want or need. This moodiness is something I could do without & I am tired of living around it. It has affected & controlled my life for far too long. I would like an actual cure for it. Does anyone out there know of one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shopping or chocolate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely Chocolate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chocolate is the ultimate cure: a real panacea. This month, I baked those fab chocolate cupcakes on the cover of the latest Martha Stewart Living magazine. The one with the rainbow frosted cupcakes arranged to form a heart. It definitely cures monthly depression . On top of that, it is an easy one-bowl PMS-proof recipe. I highly recommend it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to get very depressed and/or very ****ed off before my period...until I started eating right...now its not as bad. Exercise helps too...when I'm in a bad mood I just go for a long run and feel much better. I have always had severe cramps (nothing has helped that)...but thank God I have doctor who prescribed me a pain med that works pretty good at the max dose (Tramadol). I just take that for 2 days to get me through the worst of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12