Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Thanks Buttons on Posts

You will now see a new button for individual posts that looks like this:

with different colors where available for different forum styles.

Clicking on that button will insert a notation that you have thanked the member for his/her post; the number of times a member has been thanked will appear on the right above that member's posts.

Please use this rather than creating a separate post for the sole purpose of saying thank you. This is in the interest of minimizing the database size as psychlinks grows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re: Thanks Buttons on Posts

David,
    don't mean to add to the database, but sometimes - especially if I've been supported after a difficult time - just saying 'Thanks' without a hug for example feels a bit cold. I suppose if everyone undersands that it covers a variety of ways of saying Thanks, then I can be able to just click on it and accept that the other person will recognize that it's enough. Often, I will respond not necessarily with a long post but just with a hug and a smile icon. Does such a response fill up the database more than clicking on the "Thanks"

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amastie View Post
    David,
    don't mean to add to the database, but sometimes - especially if I've been supported after a difficult time - just saying 'Thanks' without a hug for example feels a bit cold. I suppose if everyone undersands that it covers a variety of ways of saying Thanks, then I can be able to just click on it and accept that the other person will recognize that it's enough. Often, I will respond not necessarily with a long post but just with a hug and a smile icon. Does such a response fill up the database more than clicking on the "Thanks"
    Yes, it does. I think a Thank You is enough - the hug can be implied. The recipient of the Thank You can see both who gave the thanks and for what post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,

I am beginning to see the thank you annotation as a bit of a heirachy scorecard on everyones tab. Ah, maybe it's just me, and as much as a THANK YOU click can be ... expedient, one might hesitate to reply with a discourse or ... outreach of thought. Ooop! Just click Thank you. That'll do.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Hello,

I am beginning to see the thank you annotation as a bit of a heirachy scorecard on everyones tab. Ah, maybe it's just me, and as much as a THANK YOU click can be ... expedient, one might hesitate to reply with a discourse or ... outreach of thought. Ooop! Just click Thank you. That'll do.
    If you have something to say besides "Thank you" or "hug", there will be no objections at all. If all you want to do is say thank you, this feature allows you to do that without excessive additions to the database, server resources, and bandwidth.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am beginning to see the thank you annotation as a bit of a heirachy scorecard on everyones tab.
    I felt that way at the beginning of the Thanks Button introduction as well. Thanks for bringing this up, Sparrow.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the 'Thanks counts' being displayed on each posters' letterhead (for lack of a better word) or in their statistics?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the 'Thanks counts' being displayed on each posters' letterhead (for lack of a better word) or in their statistics?
    Well, in some ways, it goes against the old hierarchy (number of posts, regular member vs. senior member vs. MVP, etc.). So, in that sense, it's anti-hierarchy

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by gooblax View Post
    I felt that way at the beginning of the Thanks Button introduction as well. Thanks for bringing this up, Sparrow.

Oh, I misunderstood Sparrow's point. You're just talking about the stats.

I'm tired...

But that's fine with me. Turned off now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never have paid much attention to the "Thank You" counts.

It isn't really important interms of validating what I say etc. I do find it might be useful to find out what members prefer what type of topics though.

Eg. If Dr Baxter posts about Migranes and many people say thanks for the post, it shows how many people are interested in that topic or found it useful.

Dr Baxter then could refer back to that, if he choses too, to see what the most members found to be the most helpful when chosing other topics for the forum.

Interms of a member and the Thank You count. I am not going to get a free pizza from it, so it really doesn't faze me in that way.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note to self: Cancel pizza order.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast