Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Understanding 'Ownership/Copyright'

Hi,
    I've done a lot of reading through FAQ's etc on these forums and one thing I'd like to ask is something that I've wondered about before - on other social network sites.

On your FAQ/Rules page Psychlinks Psychology Self-Help & Mental Health Support Forum - FAQ/Rules under the topic "Ownership and Copyright", the first sentence is "All original posts and threads posted by members become the property of Psychlinks Forum".

I am prompted to this question by my own particular fears of having my online words somehow co-opted in future by use as quotes for example or used in some way, that I cannot imagine, outside of my knowledge or choosing. I'm sorry if I sound especially paranoid. However I would like to understand what, in real terms, it means to have one's posts "owned" by the website.

I'm sure I've seen the same "Ownerhip and Copyright" clause elsewhere, such as at Yahoo etc. And I've wondered then, too, what it means exactly in terms of possible use of our posts, in any context, in the future.

Thank you,

amastie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Understanding 'Ownership/Copyright'

Hi Amastie,

those clauses are pretty standard, from what I understand. It's a clause that protects the site. But it doesn't mean that your words will be used. When you sign onto this site, you agree to the term so that you can't later try and force the site to do something, or not do something with your words (if that makes sense ).
    Last edited by Jazzey; February 8th, 2009 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I might add too. Dr Baxter is very firm with saying how he set up this site, only after ensuring every members privacy could be respected.

I tend to think the "Ownership and Copyrights" are more in place for members protection if that makes sense.

If anyone were to use a members post as you mentioned, there would be room for legal action against the person who "copied and used it".

I am not sure if at 8:00am, I am explaining it properly it is a bit early for my brain just yet.

I am sure Dr Baxter can explain it further, but that is my interpretation of the Ownership and Copyright regulations here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you both for your explanations
    I was reading a lot about rules and regulations and saw that and it reminded me of my question from times past.
    Hope you catch up on sleep, NN?
    Take good care

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are actually two reasons for this rule:

1. As mentioned above, it means that no one can take the personal posts of Psychlinks members and reproduce them without the consent of Psychlinks, which in such cases would also mean the consent of the member posting.

2. Additionally, it means that members must understand that they are posting in a public forum, rather like the "Letters to the Editor" portion of a newspaper, and that others can both read and reply to what a member posts. This is, of course, the whole point of a support forum. Sometimes, members will ask that their posts or threads be removed. Often, we will honor such requests, especially where concerns about privacy are the reason for the request. But the rule is there to remind forum members that we are under no obligation to remove posts or threads, just as once a letter to the editor is published it cannot be retracted.

Where this most often becomes a potential issue is when a member leaves the forum for one reason or another and then demands out of anger that all their posts be removed. In many cases, to do so would disrupt the flow of a thread to the point where the thread would become incomprehensible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you David. It is very helpful for me to have you answer that so fully. It has long been a question that has arisen for me in the past.
    I appreciate a final, and complete answer

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're welcome. I'll add that portion to the forum rule to make it more clear.