Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. severe car accident

11 months ago i was in a car accident and almost died.i suffered a broken leg,ankle,jaw,skull fracture,and 3 broken ribs..i was air lifted to the trauma unit in the next state over where they had me on life support for 3 days.i lived..now i am suffering with not being able to ride in a car without just stressing..i literally react unconsciously..i jerk without doing it on purpose..i have kicked the dashboard accidently..anyhow,i dont know where else to look,and hope i can find someone who understands this turmoil i have..i have had 12 surgeries,and have more to come..its not over,and i fear it will never be..i have began to see a therapist..have any of you experienced this sort of thing? what has helped you to move forward??

jamie

severe car accident

Hi, Jamie:

As I presume you've guessed, what you are experiencing is called Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). There are some effective treatments for this, including a procedurte called EMDR -- there is more information in this section.

Do you have access to a therapist? Is this feasible financially and otherwise in your area?

3. severe accident

Hi Jamie, welcome. Even though I have not been involved in a serious car accident, I have been involved in 3 car accidents where I was rear ended and sustained soft tissue damage and now I believe at some point and time nerve damage.

After the first accident, it seemed as though whenever I was driving, I would hit the panic button whenever somebody came even close to me or made a quick stop at an oncoming intersection. Of course this type of behaviour intensified after the second accident. After the third accident, I actually had to remove my rear view mirror, because I was spending too much time on what was going on behind me rather that what was going on in front of me.

I suffer PTSD not only from this accident but from earlier childhood experiences. This must be very difficult for you to come to terms with. I do hope that you seek some therapy. I have just begun the EMDR process that Dr. Baxter mentioned and will be posting info. and results as I go along. This is a relatively new type of treatment for PTSD, but apparently has been very effective.

Please keep watching my posts. I find that while I am seeing my psycholgist that I am learning a lot about this type of process. There is really not a lot of layman type of information out there. Even when I try to explain to people that I am connected with, I find it difficult to explain. I am hoping that throuh posting after sessions that this process will become clearer to people who may be contimplating this treatment.

Love. Cheryl

4. severe car accident

i have been seeing a psychiatrist and a psychologist..they have me on lexapro,clonopin,neurontin,trazadone,ativans..i am having extreme nightmares.and cannot funsction hardly at all anymore..i cannot go to my kids stuff with out extreme panic attacks..very hard..my family says move on its past you ..you survived..well my mind is trapped right now..and no one of them understands..

severe car accident

How long have you been seeing the psychologist? Is s/he experienced in treating PTSD? What methods is s/he using to help you?

severe car accident

I find painting to be extremely helpful. It helped my subconscious work through some of my trauma. I had a really difficult time with getting the images out of my mind. By painting them I felt they were transferred onto the paper and so I didn't have to keep them in my mind anymore.

I also painted my experience with recalling the event (ie I wouldn't paint the events, but I would paint how I felt while recalling the event). I would then paint the experience and myself reacting the way I WANTED to react instead of how I was actually reacting. This helped me to move through feeling immobilized.

I also started writing a blog (www.blogger.com). I felt like I was able to get the memory out of my system by writing. Also, I made a few "blogger friends" who have been very supportive to me.

Lastly, I found it incredibly frustrating to hear people say, "get over it", or "let it go". I also put a lot of pressure on myself to get "better". The added pressure just made things worse. Whenever I notice I'm being hard on myself I try to just allow myself to have my reactions and feelings and try to be as understanding and patient as possible. This can be difficult to do, but it really does work for me.

I wish you the best and empathize with you.

Regards,
    Heathbound
    http://actualizing.blogspot.com/

severe car accident

Jamie,

I hope you are having a better day today. I can't imagine what you must be going through.

Healthbound,
    What a great blog! Why don't you put it as your website on your profile?

severe car accident

HeartArt -
    Thank you for your positive feedback! I'm honored that you read some of it. I took your suggestion and just added it to my profile!

severe car accident

I addd it to your signature, too, healthbound, so people will see the link wheneevr you post. You can remove it again if you prefer...

severe car accident

Thank you, David!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast