Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Seeking Suggestions from the Membership

The Psychlinks Forum community is growing larger day by day.

As with any community, as it expands from a small town into a small city, it becomes increasingly difficult to feel really connected to everyone and inevitably it seems that the community as a whole starts to fragment, or to break into subgroups.

I've had a sense that this has been happening at psychlinks for a while now. To an extent, all forums evolve and grow, and evolution/growth of necessity means change. That's not a bad thing in itself but it's also important to try to keep a sense of community and connectedness.

I've had a few "behind the scenes" discussions with some members about how to address this but missed the obvious until my son (Daniel Baxter, a backup moderator here, and creator of the photograph cropped for use as the Psychlinks forum logo) made the suggestion tonight.

Paraphrasing Daniel:

If you have a concern about something happening within any community, the best way to address it is to enlist the aid of the whole community, not to have private discussions about it behind the scenes.
    He is, of course, absolutely right.

So I'm asking all of you now for any thoughts you may have about how to strengthen the Psychlinks Forum community.

This is rather an open-ended question, so feel free to be creative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Seeking Suggestions from the Membership

I would love to see newer members posting so that we may get to know them. I'm wondering out loud how we could have new members feel more comfortable here.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone has suggestions they'd rather share privately, please feel free to send me a note via Private Messaging or via the Contact Us link in the bottom navigation bar of any page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm,

Well to promote community interaction the first that comes to mind is recreation.

Given the nature of the content here perhaps something to build trust between new and old members.

A members list showing the user profiles of the members. Perhaps in the profiles we could have a section for movies, books and music we like.
    Maybe we could have a place for member reviews of similar material.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Budoaiki View Post
    A members list showing the user profiles of the members.
    That already exists: Click on the Community drop-down link in the top navigation bar and select Members.

Perhaps in the profiles we could have a section for movies, books and music we like. Maybe we could have a place for member reviews of similar material.
    I don't have a problem adding additional fields to the member profile but I also don't want this forum to stray too far away from its goals (i.e., a psychology, self-help, and mental health support community). Where would any new fields be displayed? Just in the member profile? or elsewhere on the forum?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the first and only forum I have ever joined so I have nothing to compare it to. I am not sure how to word this, do not ignore the quiet people and maybe even sometimes do ignore the people that post and post for attention and then just leave or get banned - give everyone a chance to talk. :think: Mari

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I guess there is still more on this site I have yet to explore cool.
    My idea was for the user profile initially but with what you said about the goal of the site in mind, perhaps it would be better to have a section in the forum for members to post about books, movies, music or other material that has helped them in some way.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mari View Post
    This is the first and only forum I have ever joined so I have nothing to compare it to. I am not sure how to word this, do not ignore the quiet people and maybe even sometimes do ignore the people that post and post for attention and then just leave or get banned - give everyone a chance to talk. :think: Mari
    How would we do that? What do you think we need to do that we're not doing now, or need to stop doing, in order to accomplish this?

My idea was for the user profile initially but with what you said about the goal of the site in mind, perhaps it would be better to have a section in the forum for members to post about books, movies, music or other material that has helped them in some way.
    We actually do have those things, I think:

or am I misunderstanding you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking more along the lines of reviews by members on any type of book, movie or music. What they took away from it like how it provoked a positive change in perspective, thought or just brightened their day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main reason I joined Psychlinks were for two reasons: I needed support and I was attracted to the professionalism here.

Personally I have been both sides of the couch so to speak, both as a client and a crisis worker. I have seen other forums that are are more informal and more for networking, even though their focus is psychologically focused.

I really would like to see us keep the professional slant of the forum as much as possible so both professionals and 'clients' feel comfortable here.

I have to say that I have learned a GREAT deal here through the up-to-date articles and discussions started by the membership. People receive assistance here as equals, as anyone of us - be it professional or not are treated in the same light. With respect and professionalism.

I really like the "medical" side of the forum and I think that needs to be kept as one of the main targets of the forum - reliable, up-to-date medical/psychological information and research.

IMO

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast