Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Seeking Suggestions from the Membership

Quote Originally Posted by Budoaiki View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of reviews by members on any type of book, movie or music. What they took away from it like how it provoked a positive change in perspective, thought or just brightened their day.
    Like this?

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/book-revi...hard-baer.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Budoaiki View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of reviews by members on any type of book, movie or music. What they took away from it like how it provoked a positive change in perspective, thought or just brightened their day.

Yes, I like this too Budoaiki. Many of us just post a new thread in the "just chat" forum. For instance the thread on http://forum.psychlinks.ca/just-chat...tening-to.html
    Like you, I like having that insight on other members and being able to share on a broader basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to improve on something that already works so well but I'll rattle my brain a bit more see what I come up with.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tricky - the difference between provoking an argument or provoking a discussion, and the person who started the argument thread is continuing while another poster is still waiting for a single response. Maybe it is too rare to be of concern but I have noticed it enough to be thinking about it. Senior members could at least be aware of whether they are adding fuel to an unending argument or contributing to a helpful discussion, myself included. :dimples: Mari

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the other members can see what they think of this and if it would help them to be more open in the forum. Or how if they were able to read something as such when they first joined, would they have felt more at ease.

When I joined in September, I really didn't realize the extent of the moderators and administrators conditions. I guess my assumtion was that the moderator and administrator team had been almost former Psychiatric patients, or even in the Psychiatric profession.

To close the gap so to speak. How would it sound as part of the "Welcome to Psychlinks" page to have a write up of some sort about the moderation and administration team.

If we are not all comfortable with having individual paragraphs, a generic one could be made where we could email Dr Baxter with our diagnosis and/or symptoms. This way, when a new person joins at least they will see that even us as moderators are coping daily with our conditions.

I am not sure if all of our diagnosis' would cover all the bases covered in the forum though? Would some feel discouraged if their condition was not listed as one that the moderation team had? (sorry thinking out loud too, like Jazzey )

That is all I have for now. Thank you for this post Dr Baxter.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a field in the member profile for diagnosis/diagnoses for those that feel comfortable discolosing that information. It's not highlighted.

Quote Originally Posted by NikNac (paddywhack, give a dog a bone)
    How would it sound as part of the "Welcome to Psychlinks" page to have a write up of some sort about the moderation and administration team.
    That might be an idea. What do others think about it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All,

After giving this some thought, I think I do see that there are differences between connections that have grown over time between those members who have been here longer and connections with new members. I think that it takes a while to develop these but at the same time I recognize that the growth of this forum has made it kind of like a school where the senior class has grown from 200 to 1000 - it's impossible to know everyone so that people stay closest to those in the group that they know. The good news is that these relationships that have grown over time have become very important to us, and I continue to appreciate them even more each day.

This said, I do think that it behooves those of us who have been here a long time to reach out to new members even more than we do (and I am certainly not the best at it since I am somewhat shy about responding). I have noticed that some new members only write one or two posts and then disappear. We do need to do everything we can to continue to grow the forum.

I also believe that we should keep the forum focused on its primary goal, but that sharing some additional personal likes/dislikes may improve our ability to further understand each other. It may also help to go back to posts over, say, a couple of weeks to check in on new members to see how they are and to let them know that we are thinking of them.

Hope this makes sense.

TG

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

I also think that it would be a good idea to have a small write up on the moderators and administrators. It would help all of us to understand better how the forum works. New members may suppose that all moderators/administrators are professionals....

TG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NicNak View Post
    If we are not all comfortable with having individual paragraphs, a generic one could be made where we could email Dr Baxter with our diagnosis and/or symptoms. This way, when a new person joins at least they will see that even us as moderators are coping daily with our conditions.
    I am sorry I just realized I didn't word that very well. Sorry if it was misunderstood. I would not want anyone to feel awkward about my post for feeling they might be centred out.

What I was meaning is if the individuals were not comfortable to have a paragraph about them individually. Just a list with no names attached could be made up, by those who are comfortable to say our diagnosis to you.

For example could write something like. Our moderation team consists of individuals coping with, or diagnosed with...............__________

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    There is a field in the member profile for diagnosis/diagnoses for those that feel comfortable discolosing that information. It's not highlighted.
    Thanks for the dog bone, but I would rather have pizza

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to sleep on this for the night and will come back to it in the morning after getting some much needed but I did want to say that I really feel that Texasgirl has captured a lot of what I was going to say.

Again, will sleep on it and give it some thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like what ladylore has said and I feel in a very similar position.

After reading other's suggestions it seems to me that this forum aims to
    1. provide support for counsellors, therapists and clients
    2. whilst providing the support (in Point 1) it also wants to have something that joins us all so that communication between everyone is facilitated
    3. encourage communication between all members in order that subgroups do not drift from the group as a whole and that all subgroups are connected to the larger group

I am not technically competent at designing forums but I wonder if there is a way of making links more prominent on a member's posting. For example, it may not have occurred to all members that one can click on the members name (top left of their posting) to find out about that member's profile, other postings etc. May be even a short sentence saying 'to find out more about this member, please click here.

Hope this makes sense

Sue

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast