Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Seeking Suggestions from the Membership

Quote Originally Posted by Mari View Post
    Tricky - the difference between provoking an argument or provoking a discussion, and the person who started the argument thread is continuing while another poster is still waiting for a single response. Maybe it is too rare to be of concern but I have noticed it enough to be thinking about it. Senior members could at least be aware of whether they are adding fuel to an unending argument or contributing to a helpful discussion, myself included. :dimples: Mari
    I agree wholeheartedly. Maybe that's where we could maybe assist those posters by PM'g them or something?

Also, I just wanted to share a little of what was going on in my mind when I first came on - never to leave.

When I first came here, I was pretty much at the peek of my crisis. Completely confused, lost and feeling very much on my own. I posted numerous threads and felt a lot of guilt about the neediness. What kept me here was the responses of the membership, the support that I received and, the gentle reminder that when we're in crisis we lean on the community, when we're not, we give back.

In this vein, I'm wondering if there isn't a message of sorts that we can send to new members with this particular message. I know that we send them the rules, do we also send them this message? Maybe a concise statement where we explain the philosophy of this site, explain how to post in various forums all the while reminding members to stay within the purview of the forum rules?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wasn't sure how to reply to this thread when it was first started because i had no thoughts, but the other responses gave me some things to think about. i agree with a couple of points, from my perspective.

1. i think it's important to let new members know that the moderator team is made up of all sorts of people, and not necessarily mental health professionals only. i think we may come across as professionals because we have answers to people who are new to the site, new to having a diagnosis and new to the whole therapy process and are feeling very uncertain about it all. the moderator team may come across as having all the answers and thus may seem like we are made up of professionals only. in reality though most of the moderator team is made up of members who have been here quite a while and who have been in therapy for a while or have completed therapy, and we've been through a lot of what new members are just now going through. this gives us insight into what they may be feeling, thus making us seem like we've had training in mental health. but instead it is our past experience and where we are in our own personal journeys that allow for us to provide guidance so well.

2. people often feel that they are asking for too much when they post and are asking for support. i would like to let the new membership understand that this forum has been created for the support they are seeking. that in posting about their own difficulties they may be helping others with similar problems but who may feel too shy to post themselves. seeking support is not a bad thing, and i have found personally that in helping others i help myself too, because it helps me view myself in that same way should the issue be something that i struggle with too. it allows me to give myself the same compassion about certain things that i so readily give to others, and that is very valuable.

as jazzey said, we come here for support when we need it and when we are able we provide support to others. supporting others is helpful to ourselves. because of that i would like to somehow encourage new members to reply to others when they post. i am concerned that new members may be shy to provide their perspectives because the moderator team may seem a bit "intimidating" with their knowledge. i don't know if anyone has ever actually felt that way but i could see it being a possibility.

i like the idea of putting together a paragraph that lists some of the diagnoses of the moderator and MVP team, without getting specific about who's got which diagnosis. a number of us have battled or are battling depression, and i think that would be helpful to a new member who's dealing with that themselves. similarly with other diagnoses. it helps create a link where you know that the people answering your posts have struggled through the same things.

is there a sticky somewhere that holds the contents of the welcome letter to new members? if not, we could create that, or create a link in the top nav bar for easy access. in this sticky i would like to see the summary info about who we are too.
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius
    ~ it is the journey, not the destination, that matters
    ~ keep hanging on, the sun will come shining through for you again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think NikNaks idea of a little write up on Admin and Moderators is a brillant. Since I joined I feel I don't really know the Mods and Admins that well because quite a few don't seem to post and you just sort of assume that they don't have many problems to share or they share them on a closed board and not on the main board. I say this because I use to be on another forum and was a moderator and one of the members said to me you seem to be on the forum but never posting and she was right it was all going on behind the scenes, so then a few of us decided to post more on the main forum and become a lot more involved and share alot more with the regular members that brought the community together more instead of the "them and us" feeling. Other than that this forum is fine as it is.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shuttered3 View Post
    I think NikNaks idea of a little write up on Admin and Moderators is a brillant. Since I joined I feel I don't really know the Mods and Admins that well because quite a few don't seem to post and you just sort of assume that they don't have many problems to share or they share them on a closed board and not on the main board. I say this because I use to be on another forum and was a moderator and one of the members said to me you seem to be on the forum but never posting and she was right it was all going on behind the scenes, so then a few of us decided to post more on the main forum and become a lot more involved and share alot more with the regular members that brought the community together more instead of the "them and us" feeling. Other than that this forum is fine as it is.
    This is an excellent point.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The current welcome letter is:

Thank you for registering at Psychlinks Psychology Self-Help & Mental Health Support Forum! We are pleased that you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Please be sure to read the Forum rules at Psychlinks Psychology Self-Help & Mental Health Support Forum - FAQ/Rules before posting.

You might start by telling us a bit about yourself in the New Members: Introductions section at New Members: Introductions - Psychlinks Psychology Self-Help & Mental Health Support Forum .

Please note that as a defense against spam, posts containing email addresses or links to other sites are moderated (require approval by a moderator or administrator) for new members so there may be a delay before such posts are visible to you or other members (this does not apply to posts without links). Once you have established yourself as a bona fide member, this limitation will be lifted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a link in that letter telling the new members who the Moderators and Admins are and maybe a little about them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that idea too Jackie. Gives members a better understanding of who we are.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am not sure if this has been mentioned but some of the terminology was foreign to me. txt msg. threads and other forum talk. For someone not computer literate these terms can get confusing. blogging etc Maybe some explanation to the terminolgy would be helpful thanks mary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Budoaiki View Post
    Well to promote community interaction the first that comes to mind is recreation (...) Perhaps in the profiles we could have a section for movies, books and music we like.
    Maybe we could have a place for member reviews of similar material.
    This could maybe be handled by including a one liner in the first email. Something to the effect of:

Members can also get to know one another and share their interests by creating threads in the Just for fun or Just chat forums.

Something like that Budoaiki?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzey View Post
    I like that idea too Jackie. Gives members a better understanding of who we are.
    Yes, and also tells the new members you are all just like them with the same problems, ups and downs etc, not just staff, and that you started on here as new members coming here for support so they know you know how scary it can be opening up! I think its important for Moderators and Admins to be more open, it sort of sets a standard just like Mods and Admins have to set standards with the rules for the rest to follow.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast