Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashbacks

Flashbacks

I keep on getting flashbacks again and now im relutant to sleep coz of the nightmares and other things.My sleep is disturbed enough and this just scares me now, i had this before and although it was hell it went away; and now its back. Im supposed to be over this now.

Flashbacks

What helped it to/made it go away before, Cin? And how long ago was that?

I'm supposed to be over this now.
    Why? Often progress is an up-and-down, two steps ahead-one step back kind of thing rather than a straight line. The fact that these symptoms have returned doesn't mean no progress -- it just means the next stage in dealing with them.

What has happened recently that may have re-triggered the flashbacks?

Flashbacks

Thats the thing, nothing has triggered this off, its so weird.The lst time i had this was back in june/july last year, and i have no idea how they went. I wish i knew, i wasnt even getting any support at the time, bcause it was the summer holidays. Bearing in mind just before the end of the semester i had told my counsellor about it and thats how it started. Right now im not talking about it with my therapist so i don't see why it has to come back. I know blocking it out is not healthy nor forever but i can't seem to cope with it all.

Flashbacks

Okay, then start looking at what else is going onin your life that may be adding stress, even small amounts of stress, to your life.

Flashbacks

Ok, thank you. Is there any way of elminating them if i dont find a specific trigger?

Flashbacks

Actually what I was suggesting is that you could list all recent changes or stressors in your life -- perhaps here. Look at how many they are, how much "total load" they are adding to your stress, what emotional impact they are having on you, do they involve you personally or people close to you, what is your self-talk regarding these stressors, do any of them involve a sense of helplessness or "I have no control over this thing", that sort of thing...

Flashbacks

~Im helping my mum financially and its making me feel trapped most of the time, in terms of being able to move out and hopefully move on. But I know she needs the help, and iam more than happy to help financially.

~ Im rushing through my life, not slowing down to look at what im doing, neither caring, thinking things will all fall into place in the end. Im neglecting myself, my university work and practically everything else, just trying to let day turn into night. I feel alot of the time i have no control of what iam doing, just walking around like a robot really.

~ At the place where i work, it has now been noticed that iam "tired" and am not providing customer service properly, when all this time i feel ive been trying to keep my head above water when i walk through those doors. This has worried me abit as iam scared of loosing this job(that i hate).

~ Me and mum are still the same and it just makes me feel...... stupid and worthless eveyday because i feel i can;t help her situation and im making it worse by being here somehow.

~ I feel that iam quite a burden on my family in general, i feel that im an emotional drain on everything i touch because of my undescivness, my tiredness and my obliviousness to things around me.

~ My university workload is piling up and im worried that i dont even care and that im not cable as i thought i was, my concentration is absolutley diabolical when it comes to reading, talking, writing, listening. my motivation is plummeting fast and i feel like i cant help it anymore, which is making it so tempting to give up on just, living.

~ i cant seem to stop dwelling and thinking about everything as a whole. looking at my life as a whole. watching it fall apart and feeling i have no psychial or mental control over it. Despite what people repeat to me, that this will not be forever, i cant see it that way.

~ Iam constantly psyhically and emotionally tired. It frustates me how i have alot to do but im not doing anything about it.

In total these things are everday for me, and they seem to never change..

Flashbacks

My university workload is piling up and im worried that i dont even care and that im not cable as i thought i was, my concentration is absolutley diabolical when it comes to reading, talking, writing, listening. my motivation is plummeting fast and i feel like i cant help it anymore, which is making it so tempting to give up on just, living.
    College can be a stress factory. I'll never forget a fellow student saying that one of his writing assignments felt like pulling teeth. Even more memorable was one professor saying that she understands how much stress we are under, and saying, somewhat jokingly, that we can go to her office and cry with her.

I applaud you for just continuing to go to class, assuming you don't skip most of the lectures. When I was in college, I withdrew from all classes during several semesters, usually around or after midterms when assignments and exams started "piling up" and my symptoms got worse. In retrospect, going to college full-time was not always a good idea for me.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Flashbacks

Thank You Daniel, I might as well not be in lectures but for some reason i still go and fall asleep in every single one. Its scary when it piles up every year and you swear to yourself you`ll never do it again, but it just seems to flow..

Flashbacks

Quote Originally Posted by Cin
    ~Im helping my mum financially and its making me feel trapped most of the time... But I know she needs the help, and iam more than happy to help financially.
    ~ Im rushing through my life, not slowing down to look at what im doing... Im neglecting myself... I feel a lot of the time i have no control of what i am doing
    i am scared of losing this job(that i hate).
    ~ Me and mum are still the same and it just makes me feel...... stupid and worthless every day because i feel i can't help her situation and im making it worse by being here somehow.
    ~ I feel that i am quite a burden on my family in general
    ~ i cant seem to stop dwelling and thinking about everything as a whole. looking at my life as a whole. watching it fall apart and feeling i have no psychological or mental control over it.
    ~ Iam constantly physically and emotionally tired
    these things are ever day for me, and they seem to never change..
    Looking at that list, I see a lot of ambivalence, feelings of helplessness, feelings of being trapped, feelings of loss of control over your own life.

Cin, I cannot recall if you said you were seeing a therapist/counsellor -- these issues may and probably do seem to you to be insurmountable and impossible to change but this is one of the things a counsellor could assist you with -- paring down the mountain of things you feel you are facing into smaller bite-size steps and helping you to feel less overwhelmed by it all. It isn't necessary that you change all of these things in your life -- just that you make a start, a step in the direction of gaining more control over your own life and feeling less trapped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast