Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What you need to know about online therapy

It's not about shutting doors or having to find a new therapist. I would hope that since I'm working with a professional, if there is an issue or discomfort he would help me work through that. That's what therapy is about, whether it's in person or online. I couldn't imagine leaving a therapist I had a trusted relationship with over something like that.

And I would still have the option of the written medium as well.
    ~ Allow yourself to be the light that the world so desperately needs. ~ Unknown

I have been putting a lot of thought into online therapy, (if I can afford it and find one) the past few months.

I have the one on one with my psychiatrist, so he can monitor my facial expressions, hand gestures, tics and such. Although my psychiatrist and I have a decent lenght session (he doesn't just say "how you doing, here is your prescription) I sometimes think it might be good to try therapy. I think I would find online therapy to be less intimidating, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    You might be surprised to learn how many of my colleagues are techno-incompetent.
    yep! this is certainly true in my experience :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post

We've talked about switching to some sort of video-conferencing in the future, and while I would really like that to happen, especially as things progress, I wonder too if it will change our relationship and my ability to be as open as I am with him.

Online counselling isn't for everyone - there still has to be a good relationship between the client and therapist, but I'm finding it to be immensely helpful.
    I have been providing on-line therapy with just voice or voice and video for some years now, I was one of the first and had to learn from scratch, my clients tend to be mainly ex-pats living overseas or people who are Internet orientated, as you say its not for everyone and yet there are for some people a distinct advantages in using on-line therapy services.

It can with some people provide a means to interact with a therapist in a way that suites them better.
    As you say its not for everyone but is fast becoming popular with some people

5. Re: What you need to know about online therapy

After many years of doing traditional face to face therapy, I have slowly transformed my interactions to online counseling. The speed of progress is far superior to face to face (provided the client is prepared to work, of course!) and have even shifted some of my face to face clients to online and found that they too, improved in terms of speed of insights and ability to really focus and think about their problem situation. Yes, there are no visual cues, but strangely that has been offset by an inability to time waste, improved focus through having to write thoughts and beleifs down and an inabilty to slide sideways out of the difficult questions. All this has resulted in shorter therpay times in most cases. I know that there is research backing this up, but my own experience and feedback from clients who have been in therapy, often for years, assures me that for many people, online counseling is the way to go. I have also been told by many clients that they could not speak about certain issues but could write about them. So anonimity is also a factor for many clients. All of my clients can see what I look like, but I can't see them, and surprisingly I have found this also to be an interesting phenomenon, since I spend years looking for visual cues, but now I must read between the lines. And it's amazing what does come out between the lines when a client has no distractions, such as the paintings in my consulting rooms. My overall aim is to convert entirely to online counseling because, comparing the two, online is superior in most cases. There is always a place for face to face, and sometimes face to face is essential, such as when dealing with a suicidal patient. You can check out my website at Your Online Counselor - Beth McHugh - Online Psychological & Relationship Counseling and read hundreds of articles on various aspects of mental illness.
    Best wishes,
    Beth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12