Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On line Friendships.

On line Friendships.

Is it strange to devleope an online friendship that is so special, that when you know the person is leaving it upsets you tremendously? And the possiblity of the person not returning.

I can understand something like this if you actually meet the person in person. It just boggles my mind that without meeting them personally that it can have an effect on you. A feeling of loss actually.

2. Advertisement
  3. On line Friendships.

I don't think it's strange and it's certainly not unusual.

When you think about it, what really is the difference between an online friendship and a real-life one? Both involve shared experiences, conversations, shared as well as divergent opinions, and the gradual development of a bond or connection over time.

One difference is that part of the online friendship is based on your own imagination/visualization of the othr person, as well as what the other person wants to present to you or let you see - an image that in some cases may be quite different from the actual person. But as long as the friendship remains online only, it's the image that you connect with and the loss of that image when the friendship, for whatever reason, terminates.

On line Friendships.

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter
    I don't think it's strange and it's certainly not unusual.

When you think about it, what really is the difference between an online friendship and a real-life one? Both involve shared experiences, conversations, shared as well as divergent opinions, and the gradual development of a bond or connection over time.

One difference is that part of the online friendship is based on your own imagination/visualization of the othr person, as well as what the other person wants to present to you or let you see - an image that in some cases may be quite different from the actual person. But as long as the friendship remains online only, it's the image that you connect with and the loss of that image when the friendship, for whatever reason, terminates.
    You are correct about the converstaions and the gradual development of a bond/connection. This has developed over a peroid of about a year and a half.

And the friendship has remained online.

I have never been one to handle losses in my life very well. I tend to be an overly emotional person.

It is good to know that it is not strange and unusal. thank you.

5. On line Friendships.

The originator of the family forum where I am a moderator (he lives in Manchester, U.K.) will be getting married to one of our other members in early November. (She is from Kansas, I believe.) They met through his forum site and have known each other via the internet for a few years now, I guess. They met face to face for the first time last year. His occupation is in internet security and she is a farm girl. Seems like this internet friendship had a happy ending!

On line Friendships.

Hi, I'm new (Hey, where's the smilies?) oh you've got img, so I hope you don't mind ..

I think of it like 'the old days' when people wrote letters to one another, and sometimes didn't even meet, but had very real, close friendships.

I started a Christian forum a few months ago, and the regular members are very close... I have met 2 of them...and a larger group of us are hoping to get together in October....

I think as long as we have fairly good discernment about who is genuine, then it's ok to trust, and be open, and yourself....

7. On line Friendships.

That's a good way of putting it, sammy, and welcome to the forums, by the way...

Do people still have penpals? We used to be encouraged to do that when I was in school - write letters to students in other countries and exchange thoughts about life and what it was like to live in different countries. I think it is possible to develop some good friendships through this medium...

On line Friendships.

I guess not many have penpals in the regular way, of writing, but many do via the PC, as I do...
    I'm from the U.K. and have good 'cyber' friends in the U.S. (who I would love to meet one day...who knows?) :)

On line Friendships.

I recently broke off with a online friend after talking to her for 4 years. We planned on meeting up but she suddenly didn't seem to like me anymore and just stopped talking. But that happends offline as well.
    I still feel upset about it but I can't change it. I know she's happy doig whatever she's doing and that oddly makes me feel better knowing she's alright even if we don't talk anymore.

I don't think it's strange to feel a loss about lossing a friend online. It's just like loosing a friend offline. A friend is a friend. online or not.

On line Friendships.

Quote Originally Posted by MMJ
    I don't think it's strange to feel a loss about losing a friend online. It's just like losing a friend offline. A friend is a friend. online or not.
    Absolutely. And the loss can be and usually is just as intense and "real".

On line Friendships.

I agree. I've made some wonderful friends on another board where I mod. People that are very special to me. I'm actually hoping to be able to go to Europe to meet them. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast