Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Options On The Flex-Work Menu

Options On The Flex-Work Menu
    by Heidi Glenn, National Public Radio
    March 14, 2010

For those who think working 9 to 5 is all takin' and no givin' (as Dolly Parton once sang), there are options for a more flexible work arrangement. Don’t know your flextime from your job sharing? Here's a quick primer.

Flexible Working Benefits Offered By Some U.S. Companies
    Source: Society For Human Resource Management

Flextime is when employees choose their own work hours within limits set by their employer — for example, working an 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. schedule instead of the traditional 9 to 5 schedule, or working extra hours one day to make up for shorter hours worked another day.

Telecommuting is when employees work outside the office — say, at home or on a laptop in a coffee shop. The benefit can be offered on a one-time or ad hoc basis — for example, when a commuting crisis such as a snowstorm keeps workers away from the office — or as a part-time benefit.

Job sharing is when two or more employees share one full-time job; the employees can either alternate weeks, split the workday in half or work 2 1/2 days each week, with one overlapping day.

Still another option is a compressed workweek, which means, for example, working a four-day/10-hour-day workweek or a three-day/12-hour-day workweek.

Companies can also give employees flexibility when it comes to when they take their breaks or meals. For example, mealtime flex allows employees who take shorter lunch breaks to leave early. Employers can also let workers adjust their schedules by picking up shifts or trading them with co-workers, an option called shift flexibility.

Seasonal scheduling is when employees work only a certain number of months a year. And some companies allow employees to work part of the year in one location and part of the year in another location.

Finally, a results-only work environment basically turns the traditional workplace model of work hours and meetings on its head. Under this arrangement, employees can work where and whenever they wish, as long as projects are completed on time.

Work-life experts caution that many flex-work programs appear more generous on paper than in practice and can be highly dependent on individual supervisors.
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.” ~ Rumi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Options On The Flex-Work Menu

Wow. At my last job (for an airline) we had alot of this in my department - as long as we got our 40 hours a week in, they didn't care how (obviously if we had meetings scheduled we needed to be there), they let us work from home not as a rule but on an as-needed basis, we could wear whatever we wanted every day (within reason, my 'uniform' was jeans, hoodie, and ball cap)...it was basically just getting the job done, however we wanted, within some certain and obvious parameters and expectations.

I could (and have never) work for a "hoity toity" company where you have to dress up every day and be formal. I've always avoided applying on those jobs because they're just not me - I'd be miserable.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Work Strategies for Night Owls and Early Birds

For night owls and early birds, the traditional 9-to-5 workday can be agonizing. The exhausted night owl drags himself bleary-eyed into the office every morning, while the chipper early bird finds his energy waning well before quitting time.

But there are ways to cope. Experts offer these workplace survival strategies for those with body clocks out of sync with their employers' hours...
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.” ~ Rumi

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)