Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When therapy isn't an option?

I've been perusing the forums here, and I see the refrain "seek professional help" or "see a counselor" or "get therapy" in a lot of threads. But therapy is awfully expensive...

In BC, the only therapy/counseling that I could find that's available at less than $90-150/hr that *isn't* for special groups (youth, seniors, disabled, veterans, etc) is "urgent care." My experience with this was not positive, one must be dangerous in a manner that is deemed just short of need for inpatient care (even then, there's a month long waiting period), and therapy comes with a 12-week limitation, after which, you're on your own. I tried this two years ago, and was given no referrals of any sort. Just a pat on the back, a good-luck handshake, and a piece of paper with the address to a hospital emergency department.

I'm still depressed, though the suicidal urges come and go with varying intensities.

What do I need to do to get help? Win the lottery? Hang out in high places? It seems rather absurd that I will not be taken seriously until I'm in the morgue, but I've concluded it must be the case nevertheless.

I've been perusing the forums here, and I see the refrain "seek professional help" or "see a counselor" or "get therapy" in a lot of threads. But therapy is awfully expensive...

In BC, the only therapy/counseling that I could find that's available at less than $90-150/hr that *isn't* for special groups (youth, seniors, disabled, veterans, etc) is "urgent care." My experience with this was not positive, one must be dangerous in a manner that is deemed just short of need for inpatient care (even then, there's a month long waiting period), and therapy comes with a 12-week limitation, after which, you're on your own. I tried this two years ago, and was given no referrals of any sort. Just a pat on the back, a good-luck handshake, and a piece of paper with the address to a hospital emergency department.

I'm still depressed, though the suicidal urges come and go with varying intensities.

What do I need to do to get help? Win the lottery? Hang out in high places? It seems rather absurd that I will not be taken seriously until I'm in the morgue, but I've concluded it must be the case nevertheless.

Some places do offer a sliding scale. University clinics are often cheaper since they have their grad students working there as well. The University of British Columbia's Psychology Clinic, for example, charges as low as $20:

A sliding scale ranging from $60-$20/session is applied to services delivered by clinic teams. These are substantially lower than the fee scales for private Registered Psychologists.
    UBC Psychology Clinic
    In the US at least, many private therapists offer sliding scale fees as well.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some places do offer a sliding scale. University clinics are often cheaper since they have their grad students working there as well. The University of British Columbia's Psychology Clinic, for example, charges as low as $20:

A sliding scale ranging from $60-$20/session is applied to services delivered by clinic teams. These are substantially lower than the fee scales for private Registered Psychologists.
    UBC Psychology Clinic
    In the US at least, many private therapists offer sliding scale fees as well.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

In addition to Daniel's suggestions, ask your family doctor about other lower cost options. For example, in Ottawa, apart from the University clinics, there are also a couple of organizations like Catholic Family Services who offer some services at low cost.

Many counselors will offer a sliding fee scale too, as Daniel mentioned. However, for several reasons, this isn't openly advertised -- the only way to find out is to ask and that can be done in a phone call.

In addition to Daniel's suggestions, ask your family doctor about other lower cost options. For example, in Ottawa, apart from the University clinics, there are also a couple of organizations like Catholic Family Services who offer some services at low cost.

Many counselors will offer a sliding fee scale too, as Daniel mentioned. However, for several reasons, this isn't openly advertised -- the only way to find out is to ask and that can be done in a phone call.

Dr Baxter,

Do you know if a sliding fee scale is also available in the Montreal area or west island area and do you know anyone in particular?

Dr Baxter,

Do you know if a sliding fee scale is also available in the Montreal area or west island area and do you know anyone in particular?

I don't know much at all specifically about the availability and practices of therapists in Montreal, Meagan. However, I would guess that this is an option for people in most places. The only way to find out would be to check the phone book -- it's possible that some may include that information in the Yellow Pages listing but I'd guess that you'll need to call and ask directly whether this is an option.

I should also point out that many employer extended health care plans do reimburse at least part of such fees -- many people aren't aware of this but it's worth checking.

I don't know much at all specifically about the availability and practices of therapists in Montreal, Meagan. However, I would guess that this is an option for people in most places. The only way to find out would be to check the phone book -- it's possible that some may include that information in the Yellow Pages listing but I'd guess that you'll need to call and ask directly whether this is an option.

I should also point out that many employer extended health care plans do reimburse at least part of such fees -- many people aren't aware of this but it's worth checking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast