Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Doctors' group says antidepressants safe for teens

Mon Jun 20, 2005
    By M. Mary Conroy

CHICAGO (Reuters Health) - A new report from the American Medical Association's Council on Scientific Affairs (CSA) suggests that antidepressants -- including so-called SSRIs such as Prozac -- are appropriate therapies for the treatment of depression in adolescents.

The CSA report, which was discussed at an AMA reference committee hearing Sunday, was immediately endorsed by delegates representing the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the American Academy of Pediatrics.

"We believe this is a fair and balanced report," said Dr. Melvyn Sterling, clinical professor of medicine at the University of California, Irvine, and chairman of the council.

Sterling said the council report recommends that SSRIs remain available for use in both children and adolescents and states that current clinical evidence "indicates that (Prozac) is an effective SSRI in children and adolescents with major depressive disorder."

Antidepressants, especially SSRIs, have come under increased scrutiny by the Food and Drug Administration and Congress amid reports of increased suicides among teenager treated with the drugs.

The AMA will begin voting on this issue and many others later this week.

Mon Jun 20, 2005
    By M. Mary Conroy

CHICAGO (Reuters Health) - A new report from the American Medical Association's Council on Scientific Affairs (CSA) suggests that antidepressants -- including so-called SSRIs such as Prozac -- are appropriate therapies for the treatment of depression in adolescents.

The CSA report, which was discussed at an AMA reference committee hearing Sunday, was immediately endorsed by delegates representing the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the American Academy of Pediatrics.

"We believe this is a fair and balanced report," said Dr. Melvyn Sterling, clinical professor of medicine at the University of California, Irvine, and chairman of the council.

Sterling said the council report recommends that SSRIs remain available for use in both children and adolescents and states that current clinical evidence "indicates that (Prozac) is an effective SSRI in children and adolescents with major depressive disorder."

Antidepressants, especially SSRIs, have come under increased scrutiny by the Food and Drug Administration and Congress amid reports of increased suicides among teenager treated with the drugs.

The AMA will begin voting on this issue and many others later this week.

"...current clinical evidence "indicates that (Prozac) is an effective SSRI in children and adolescents with major depressive disorder."

"Antidepressants, especially SSRIs, have come under increased scrutiny by the Food and Drug Administration and Congress amid reports of increased suicides among teenager treated with the drugs."

"The AMA will begin voting on this issue and many others later this week."

----What is your opinion on this issue? Are they safe for children and adolescents?

"...current clinical evidence "indicates that (Prozac) is an effective SSRI in children and adolescents with major depressive disorder."

"Antidepressants, especially SSRIs, have come under increased scrutiny by the Food and Drug Administration and Congress amid reports of increased suicides among teenager treated with the drugs."

"The AMA will begin voting on this issue and many others later this week."

----What is your opinion on this issue? Are they safe for children and adolescents?

In my opinion, there was never an undue risk, providing that patients just starting an SSRI are monitored for the first 2-3 weeks, which should always be the case anyway. I have read the literature on this debate and I've never seen any credible evidence that it increases suicide risk. Depressed individuals do come with a certain risk for suicidal thinking or attempts -- that's part of the disorder -- and teenagers because of their emotional state are more prone to feelings of helplessness and hopelessness and more impulsive by nature. That's what causes suicide attempts, not medication, in my opinion.

I'd also point out that these medications are also used to treat anxiety disorders, OCD, eating disorders, etc., etc., and there has never been a shred of evidence, not even bad evidence, to suggest that individuals taking SSRIs for these other disorders are at risk. Unfortunately, the warnings issued by government health agencies failed to specify that so the "ban" became a ban on the medications instead of a caution regarding the use in youn depressed patients. All in all, I was very disappointed in the response of government agencies -- although I do of course understand the concern, I think it could have been better handled.

In my opinion, there was never an undue risk, providing that patients just starting an SSRI are monitored for the first 2-3 weeks, which should always be the case anyway. I have read the literature on this debate and I've never seen any credible evidence that it increases suicide risk. Depressed individuals do come with a certain risk for suicidal thinking or attempts -- that's part of the disorder -- and teenagers because of their emotional state are more prone to feelings of helplessness and hopelessness and more impulsive by nature. That's what causes suicide attempts, not medication, in my opinion.

I'd also point out that these medications are also used to treat anxiety disorders, OCD, eating disorders, etc., etc., and there has never been a shred of evidence, not even bad evidence, to suggest that individuals taking SSRIs for these other disorders are at risk. Unfortunately, the warnings issued by government health agencies failed to specify that so the "ban" became a ban on the medications instead of a caution regarding the use in youn depressed patients. All in all, I was very disappointed in the response of government agencies -- although I do of course understand the concern, I think it could have been better handled.

Do you think that an anti-psychotic medication like Risperdyl is an appropriate treatment for teenagers to treat anxiety (when SSRIs are not effective enough)?

Do you think that an anti-psychotic medication like Risperdyl is an appropriate treatment for teenagers to treat anxiety (when SSRIs are not effective enough)?

Or Seroquel?

Or Seroquel?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast