Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  25
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How Much Would You Spend on a Sick Pet?

I didn't know that!

Two of my cats did require surgery but there were no complications from the anesthetic.

Good reminder that there are always risks to any surgery on any species and to weigh those risks against the actual need for surgery. In my case, there really was not an option (i.e., one of my cats was hit by a car and had a broken jaw so it wasn't like we could just ignore that).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, I didn't know it either until I read a post by a local pet dentist. One reason I like the animal hopsital in the next town over is they offer a package deal for dentals that includes everything, including bloodwork and any necessary pain meds, antibiotics, etc.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Got a free exam for my dog today at the pet dental clinic, and the vet mentioned that giving popcorn to dogs isn't great since it can lead to needing a tooth extraction. And it doesn't take much to mess up dogs' teeth.

For some dogs (such as those who are "overgroomed" around their mouth), even their hair around their mouth can act as a foreign body to cause tooth problems. The vet recently had to extract four teeth in a single dog for that reason.

And I can tell people are getting less pet dentals done with the recession. They had openings even the next day for a dental cleaning, and in the past it was more like a one or two week wait.
    Last edited by Daniel; October 28th, 2020 at 10:46 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The local animal hospital that is more expensive for some things is seeming to be a better value in the long run (except for dentals or surgeries). They are closer, have more rooms for social distancing, are always open on Sundays, and they can see you the same day usually, even for non-urgent matters.

Today the senior dog with COPD went for a respiratory infection. We called ahead, and they gave us an appointment for our arrival time. There is a pet ER in the same town, but it is very expensive to go there from what I hear.

The other animal hospital in the next town over is cheaper but is always closed on Sundays, is open fewer hours during the week, and has less staff, so they always run late and are less available for emergencies.
    Last edited by Daniel; November 1st, 2020 at 07:22 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234