Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How Much Would You Spend on a Sick Pet?

The problems I have are mostly with being misled by well-meaning but somewhat uneducated vets who fail to realize basic things like stress alone in cats (such as during a vet visit) can temporarily create diabetic blood sugar levels. I have also had vets create an unnecessary level of urgency.

In my experience, vets (generally speaking) are nowhere near as thoroughly knowledgeable as human doctors. Almost every human doctor I know is a walking Google in addition to their years of experience. That is not the case with some/many vets.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There’s a big percentage of all professionals that see someone in distress walk in and are more interested in their assets than the problem they walked in for. Greed is rampant from auto repair, funeral services, vets, dentists used car salesmen and that’s the start of the list. They see someone walk in and start evaluating what they can add to the tests to justify bleeding as much as possible out of people in times of hardships

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And human doctors have to worry about being sued. Vets do not, relatively speaking.

Of course, to be fair, vets have to be surgeons, dentists, etc. all in one -- and for multiple species.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The people who called me crazy for spending $2500 on my dog trying to save her, but failed..are the same people who spend $600 per month on smoking, and more money on alcohol and drugs...both prescription and non prescription. To me, that is a waste of money.
    My dogs give me love and affection...and you can't put a price on that.
    My husband always asks me how much money do I spend on my dogs. I quickly say...how much do you spend on smoking and his hobbies...then I say...oh and I have a job too..where I make my own money...then that discussion quickly ends.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never heard of this $15 alternative to pre-anesthetic bloodwork (which usually costs me $65-100 USD):

Don't Opt Out of Pre-Anesthetic Lab Work | Fully Vetted | petMD

...In the case of a young pet, pre-anesthetic testing does not have to be involved or expensive. One of the most progressive clinics I’ve worked for was "okay" running only a packed cell volume (checking primarily for anemia and evaluating the color of the serum for diseases that affect the liver or red blood cells), total solids (looking mostly for infection or protein-losing diseases), and an AZO stick (a quick check of kidney function) in these individuals and proceeding if all was normal. I believe the fee for a PCV/TS/AZO was only $15, and this was in a part of the country with an exceptionally high cost of living. These simple tests require just a few drops of blood and would have picked up the kidney failure in the aforementioned dog.

For owners who chose more in depth testing, this clinic would run a complete blood count (CBC) and either six or twelve blood chemistry parameters with electrolyte levels to give us a better look into whether or not a pet could be suffering from anemia, dehydration, infection, parasitism, bone marrow dysfunction, liver disease, kidney disease, etc. Additional tests might also be recommended based on a pet’s breed and history.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The animal hospital in the next town over is amazing! Free e-mail consults with the owner (head vet -- who replies within an hour or so) and free toenail clippings with each visit, even with non-exam visits for shots, etc. They are always busy -- about a half hour late for every appointment -- but always much cheaper. So it pays to drive the extra distance. This is the same owner who replied to me personally on Facebook around 10 PM when I was asking a question about their practice.

We decided to change after the vet at the closer, more expensive animal hospital was not aware of a simple $99 test to rule out diabetes in a cat who has stress-induced hyperglycemia.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad I have learned to have some money put back for my six house pets since I have had two pets in the same week needing diagnostics.

The 11-year-old senior dog with COPD is doing well now (and the total was less than $300 for the exam, lung x-rays, and medication -- which is not bad at all).

But another Dachshund of ours, who is 6 years old, has what seems to be an enlarged spleen, which was palpated by two different vets during a free dental exam yesterday. So an ultrasound of her spleen along with possible x-rays will be done by her regular vet soon, about the same time we get the bloodwork results back.

The good news is that if her spleen does need to be removed, the cost will be about a third of what some other vets charge. It is still shocking how much the difference is between vets.
    Last edited by Daniel; May 29th, 2020 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news. Spleen was fine, as was the bloodwork. Partial ultrasound of the abdomen was only $115. Vet recommended brushing dogs' teeth at least twice a week as a way to space out the dental cleanings.

From a financial perspective, the ultrasound was basically free compared to the cost of surgery, so I am glad there was no need for surgery. A spleen removal would have cost about $1700, including diagnostics.

The funny thing: the vet, who works six days a week, was playing jealous of the pet dentists since they only work Monday to Thursday.
    Last edited by Daniel; June 1st, 2020 at 10:06 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123