Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re: Adventures with Benzodiazepines and SSRIs

Thanks Daniel.

Well, I have to say that my stomach issues have followed the same pattern for 4 weeks now. Even though on one hand, I can say that I can not control the same daily routine of waking up at 5-6am without fail and at least in my stomach feeling bad (either resulting in bowel movement or not), of course, on the other hand, it follows such a pattern that I have somehow ingrained this in my mind of expecting it to happen every day, and therefore, it keeps happening! It's so horrible and something that I don't want of course, but I haven't succeeded in stopping it happening.

All I can hope is that with the mix of short term medication and the sessions with the psychologist, that this is not going to go on for much longer.

When this all started, I decided that no way I want to take medication and that it's all power of the mind and that I can control it myself along with going to therapy. But things got bad real quickly and now, I've come to the point of not being able to control much and relying on medication for now to stop the physical things. Now I say it, it makes me cringe that I need to do this and it's scary to think that somehow, I need to be able to (first of all, get the right medication and) come off of the medication sometime and be able to control all of this by myself.

To be honest, I can't even talk about it now. I'm feeling real messed up and concerned for not just the present, but for my future. I'm anxious about feeling anxious, about feeling anxious.

---------- Post added July 6th, 2010 at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was July 5th, 2010 at 11:49 PM ----------

New world record for me. Within an hour, I have managed to go from thinking positively and feeling OK, to the total opposite and now feeling anxious as hell AND in having my first nighttime anxiety AND whilst being on the medication which I took 2 hours ago. Yey, and it's 12.40am now and I am meant to go back to work tomorrow after a few days off.

Success!

Now what?

Two options... well, one really. Lay down, close my eyes and take in a deep breath, hold it for a second and let go. Keep doing that and get in control of your mind. 30 minutes later, that didn't work.
    Second option. Asides from the extra 0.25mg I have taken this evening that I wasn't meant to... Maybe more medication will work!? But can't do that, as I've been bad enough in taking what I wasn't meant to tonight and yesterday also.

So....?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking a warm bath/shower and then walking into a cool room is one way to reduce nighttime anxiety/insomnia.

Other tips:

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/anxiety-a...e-anxiety.html

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/sleep-dre...dications.html (a bedtime snack always helps me )

• Get out of bed when you're not sleeping. Sleep as much as needed to feel rested, and then get out of bed. If you can't sleep, get out of bed after 15 minutes and do something relaxing, such as reading.
    • Avoid trying to sleep. The harder you try, the more awake you'll become. Read or watch television until you become very drowsy, then go to bed to sleep.

Insomnia: Lifestyle and home remedies - MayoClinic.com
    For the future:
    Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter
    The key is not to wait until bed time to start winding down. If you keep you mind up and alert all evening, and then try to shut it off at 11 pm, you're going to have difficulty. You need to start slowing down both your body and your brain a good 2-3 hours before you want to be sleeping.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/sleep-dre...not-tired.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TY for the links. I am reading them now.

Just had a warm shower and cooled off after, but hasn't helped much.

Funny how my stomach has started to feel bad. And you know what that means? When this happens in the morning, once I have bowel movement, I feel better after. (Well, asides from having no appetite and still not sleeping good). (but still...) this is why it's become such a self-fulfilling prophecy. Seems like such a great plan now to go ahead with seeing that it's 1am and I will first of all wake up at 5am, so that's probably 2-3 hours sleep (if I ever manage to fall asleep now), then maybe stay awake or go back to sleep for 2 hours on and off and get up for work.

Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the worst part of it all, is that I can so see how medication can be addictive. All I want to do now is take more so that it will make me calmer and drowsy/sleepy so that I can just sleep. That's all I want to do. 0.25mg does hardly anything or me.

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

O well.

Ended up taking a full tablet this evening (0.25mg 2 hours ago and 0.25mg 30 minutes ago) and it's done absolutely nothing anyway, so my plan hasn't worked. 2.30am and still wide awake. Don't think I could get addicted to this if I tried lol... Well, unless if I'd take one more now, but don't worry, I won't. I've been bad enough in taking 1 1/2 tablets today, when it was only meant to be a half this morning and that's it.

Nice try.

I think I'm going to just have to turn up to the psychiatrist in the morning and hope that I'll be able to see him, because I am meant to be going on Wednesday with my Dad (he lives abroad but is visiting now, and now he knows about what is happening, he said he wants to come with me to ensure I get all the answers I need), but no way am I going to sit there and admit that I've actually already tried a higher dose without the Dr's agreement (and that it didn't work anyway - If I don't admit this when I go with my Dad on Wednesday because I don't want him to know and the psychiatrist suggests this dose, I know it doesn't do a thing anyway!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To address the original question in this discussion:
    How much truth is there in Benzodiazepine Withdrawal?
    Withdrawal from benzodiazepine therapy is a complex issue determined by the particular compound being used, the dose and the duration of therapy.

Every benzodiazepine has its own pharmacokinetic profile, meaning every compound is absorbed, distributed and eliminated from the body differently. Some are short acting, (alprazolam, lorazepam) meaning they possess a short metabolic half life, while others are long acting (diazepam, clonazepam) where they remain in the body longer. Furthermore, some compounds have active metabolites that add to the effect of the parent compound thereby complicating the effect, while others have no active metabolites. Some require a complicated metabolic process in the liver, potentially interacting with other medications, while others are clean metabolizers and have no interaction potential.

Some benzodiazepines reach a steady state in the bloodstream quickly as in the case of lorazepam which takes about three days where the amount being administered equals the amount being eliminated, while others take a week or two before steady state is reached.

A rapid steady state is beneficial when initiating therapy, but can lead to a sudden drop in blood levels when the medication is withdrawn suddenly and rapidly, resulting in what is described as withdrawal symptoms such as agitation, flu like symptoms and increased anxiety.

So getting back to your question about alprazolam, which is a fast acting short half life medication with no active metabolites, if one has been treated with this compound for several weeks/months, then the doctor would most likely recommend tapering off the dose when discontinuation is required to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Other strategies might also be employed which might include using a different benzodiazepine compound with a different pharmacokinetic profile as a bridge to help curtail withdrawal symptoms.

So if discontinuation is contemplated, it should be done under a doctor's supervision, and the instructions for how to proceed need to be carefully followed to avoid unexpected adverse experiences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Steve.

Unfortunately, this morning was by far the worst I've had since this started.

I had 4 hours sleep and woke up at 6.45am feeling like I have a hangover or something weird... REALLY nauseous, bad stomach and shaky weak feeling.

First passed stool and still felt awful then ended up for 20 minutes dry heaving painfully and nothing coming up because there is literally nothing in my stomach. After 20 minutes of that, now the feeling of nauseous has gone, but I am left with my body feeling terrible and a headache.

Not sure whether to go to my family doctor in an emergency this morning or to the psychiatrist. Neither can do can really anything to help me right now, anything is going to take time to get to a solution, so I'm feeling a bit helpless here. I'd say that I will just normally get on with my day, but it's getting increasingly difficult to do this, especially with the not eating and sleeping. I need to travel 2 hours to work, stay there for 8 hours and travel back 2 hours, that's 12 hours I need to be up and about for, and I don't think I physically can.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to travel 2 hours to work, stay there for 8 hours and travel back 2 hours, that's 12 hours I need to be up and about for, and I don't think I physically can
    Certainly, driving while tired can be as bad as driving while intoxicated with alcohol, not to mention driving with a low blood sugar.

A classic example is a nurse that ran over someone after working a long shift.

But, of course, people can often drive just going mostly on adrenaline, etc, though it's not pleasant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go to work on the bus. But nevertheless, I've just gotten to the point of not sleeping and eating enough in the last 4 days or so, that I am nearly finished here... Feel too bad.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might be well advised to take a day off work to get into to see one of them (doctor or psychiatrist) tomorrow. Things don't seem to be improving in a hurry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The not being active and sitting at home makes things worse for me, but I know that I need to stop telling myself that and just do it, because I can't go in this state.

It's just all bad timing as my family has been here and I've taken time off of work also, but not much I can do about that.

I can go to my family doctor right now, but not sure what's he's going to be able to do for me right now. The same with the psychiatrist. Unless there is some wonder drug he can give me that works straight away, I don't think that exists. I have the ones that I ca take also which will take possibly weeks to work, or a higher dosage of what I have now, which I can only guess has caused the nauseousness and everything this morning... Is that possible that in taking 0.75mg yesterday rather than 0.25mg, that the 0.5mg (0.25mg at 10pm and 0.25mg at 1am) could cause this physical sickness?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything is possible, which is why you need to get some medical advice. Apart from anything else, you need to worry about dehydration and throwing your metabolites out of whack.

As for what they can do, as I've suggested previously, that can include
    • changing the tranquilizer to another type for the short term
    • starting you on an SSRI or SSRI/SNRI for the longer term
    • perhaps adding in a sleeping medication for the short term
    • giving you some medication for the gastric distress so you can start eating and drinking properly
    But the longer you wait to get into see someone, the longer you're going to suffer. Personally, I hate pain. If I have it, I get my butt into a doctor to find out why.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast