Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Can mental problems (anxiety, depression, etc.) be cured?

I am contemplating this idea at the present moment. Can a person, using the correct treatment options (talk therapy + determination + diet + relaxation) be cured of anxiety disorders?

Or is it really something chronic and must be treated with medications (SSRI, etc.)?

2. Can mental problems (anxiety, depression, etc.) be cured?

I am contemplating this idea at the present moment. Can a person, using the correct treatment options (talk therapy + determination + diet + relaxation) be cured of anxiety disorders?

Or is it really something chronic and must be treated with medications (SSRI, etc.)?

Can mental problems (anxiety, depression, etc.) be cured?

It depends on the individual and the disorder.

Some can be cured completely -- others can be managed so that they no longer interefere significantly with day to day living and the enjoyment of life.

Some may require long-term or even life-long use of medication, although not necessarily at full dose -- but most will respond to relatively short-term medication (i.e., weeks to 1-3 years).

It depends on the individual and the disorder.

Some can be cured completely -- others can be managed so that they no longer interefere significantly with day to day living and the enjoyment of life.

Some may require long-term or even life-long use of medication, although not necessarily at full dose -- but most will respond to relatively short-term medication (i.e., weeks to 1-3 years).

5. Can mental problems (anxiety, depression, etc.) be cured?

Is medication really required in treating anxiety disorders? Or are they used now to make the treatment process easier and shorter?

6. Can mental problems (anxiety, depression, etc.) be cured?

Is medication really required in treating anxiety disorders? Or are they used now to make the treatment process easier and shorter?

Again, it depends on the specific anxiety disorder -- I think they are very beneficial in treating most anxiety disorders and perhaps essential for some disorders or individuals, recognizing that like most disorders anxiety disorders vary greatly in severity and in symptoms from one individual to the next.

Again, it depends on the specific anxiety disorder -- I think they are very beneficial in treating most anxiety disorders and perhaps essential for some disorders or individuals, recognizing that like most disorders anxiety disorders vary greatly in severity and in symptoms from one individual to the next.

Whatever mode of therapy that succeeds for a given individual, my impression is the ultimate goal in treating depression or anxiety disorders is to have more good days than bad days,

Initially there are more bad days that good days, then with the proper support and therapy, the number of good days increase.

Even when there are more good days than bad days, one might experience a relapse, but just knowing the good days will return makes riding out the down time easier.

Perhaps the use of medications like minor tranquilizers (benzodiazepines) during the initial phase of treating anxiety disorders can take the edge off. allowing other forms of supportive therapy to take effect. Then, if deemed appropriate, the meds might be tapered or withdrawn.

Is my concept consistent with current practice?
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Whatever mode of therapy that succeeds for a given individual, my impression is the ultimate goal in treating depression or anxiety disorders is to have more good days than bad days,

Initially there are more bad days that good days, then with the proper support and therapy, the number of good days increase.

Even when there are more good days than bad days, one might experience a relapse, but just knowing the good days will return makes riding out the down time easier.

Perhaps the use of medications like minor tranquilizers (benzodiazepines) during the initial phase of treating anxiety disorders can take the edge off. allowing other forms of supportive therapy to take effect. Then, if deemed appropriate, the meds might be tapered or withdrawn.

Is my concept consistent with current practice?
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast