Thanks Thanks:  33
Likes Likes:  4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Behavioral Activation: How To Be More Active in Your Life!

BEHAVIORAL-ACTIVATION THERAPY

People with depression often withdraw from the world, and this therapy seeks to bring them back in. Treatment involves helping people identify activities that add meaning to their life, like reading, volunteering or hanging out with friends, and encourages them to do these things without waiting for their mood to lift first. In a recent study published in the Lancet, this kind of therapy was shown to be as effective as CBT. And it costs much less, because practitioners don’t need as much training.

~ "New Hope for Depression," Time Magazine (July 27, 2017)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hope this works it shows how this young girl got herself back into the world again.
    Words always stay inside ones soul

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Great one FMN!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beat Procrastination With “Temptation Bundling”

...Whether it’s jogging or studying for a final, it’s common to motivate yourself with a reward for completing tasks you dread doing. The old carrot-and-stick method can work, but researcher Katy Milkman suggests a better version: temptation bundling.

Instead of rewarding yourself after you’re productive, use a reward to motivate yourself while you’re completing the task. For example, only listen to your favorite podcast while you jog. Or make it a rule to only visit your favorite coffee shop if you’re studying...

Subjects were 29-51% more likely to exercise when they used temptation bundling.

It should be pretty simple to come up with your bundle, but entrepreneur James Clear suggests an easy exercise to get started. Create a two-column list. In the first column, list all of your temptations: guilty pleasures, things you enjoy. In the second column, write down the stuff you should be doing, but you don’t enjoy: working out, networking, replying to emails. Then, marry the two columns to create a temptation bundle for each task. He offers a few examples:

Only listen to audiobooks or podcasts you love while exercising.
    Only get a pedicure while processing overdue work emails.
    Only watch your favorite show while ironing or doing household chores.
    Only eat at your favorite restaurant when conducting your monthly meeting with a difficult colleague.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling Busy and Distracted? It's Not Your Fault

The best way I've found to maintain a proactive mindset is with the daily practice of choosing a Highlight. Try asking yourself the question: When I look back on my day, what do I want the highlight to be? Maybe it's an accomplishment at work. Maybe it's a project you've been meaning to do at home. Or maybe it's an activity that brings you joy - a long walk, a board game, or cooking a meal from scratch.

Thinking about what you're making time for can create the motivation to set new habits into motion. And when your habits fall apart and things don't go as planned, the daily presence of your Highlight becomes a beacon, reminding you of the decisions you made and the plans you set - and giving you a boost to get back on track.

A daily Highlight can also be the saving grace of an otherwise "blah" day. When you've chosen a Highlight, and planned your day to make time for it, you can mark a "win" even if the rest of the day kind of sucks.

That's one of the reasons I love to work on my Highlight first thing in the morning: When I make time for something important right after waking up, the rest of the day is gravy. A traffic jam, a delayed train, a meeting that runs late, an outdoor workout that's rained out - these things are a drag, for sure, but when I've already made time for my Highlight, I can grab a slice of satisfaction from even the most unsatisfactory of days.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234