Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Behavioral Activation: How To Be More Active in Your Life!

nice tip, but I usually feel lazy... just lay down on a sofa or bed and contemplate.. and a i become active once in a blue moon.. like i can clean the whole house in one day without feeling any tiredness.. weird, i don't even understand my self..

Some tangential thoughts:

• Laziness is a myth and such a self-schema can rob one of hope.
    • Motivation doesn't matter.
    • Depression (and often anxiety as well) can be seen as a constriction of social space -- e.g. confining oneself to the home -- rather than something marked by physical inactivity. For example, it took me a while to realize that even little things like eating inside of Subway rather than eating at home can be helpful.
    • A counselor or therapist is often needed, even if only for a few sessions.
    • A gradual approach is usually recommended. A weariness of the self can develop if one's short-term goals are too big or one compares oneself to others ("the cult of performance").
    • Some tasks like housekeeping may not be important anyway for personal happiness and can be outsourced to others if need be.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Life begets life. Energy creates energy. It is by spending oneself that one become rich."

Sarah Bernhardt

From the slides:

Take Away Message:

Four Pleasant Activities a Day Keeps the Blues Away

They don’t have to be huge

Just Consciously Chosen, and
    Deliberately Done to experience control.

1. Events/activities Control Mood.
    2. To some extent you can control activities & events.
    3. Therefore, to some extent, you can control (influence) your mood.
    4. By increasing this sense of control, you increase your sense of efficacy or mastery for reducing depression and improving your quality of life.

http://sgec.stanford.edu/content/dam...April_2012.pdf
    Last edited by Daniel; March 11th, 2016 at 06:00 PM.

I definitely need to give this another read through. Have really been struggling just to get basic stuff done, let alone make the effort to do enjoyable things that require more than 0 seconds of planning.

This is a great thread - thanks for the various additions to it.

Something that clicked for me was reading some work by Jonice Webb about not having emotional needs and emotional involvement be met enough, or not having that happen enough earlier in life. It suddenly clicked for me that experiencing this or having had hurt, pain, neglect, or not enough deep interest or emotional caretaking, understanding, or high quality emotional involvement from caretakers or a significant person, can be a factor in feeling very unmotivated, uninterested, pointless, tired or drained... actually, her book on this topic is called Running On Empty.

When I started being able to be really seen and heard and have emotional needs met by a therapist doing some schema therapy type of work, things finally started to feel different for me. I guess I just had never put the two things together, and had no idea that for some people this can be a factor in problems with motivation and energy.
    Last edited by MHealthJo; July 16th, 2017 at 11:00 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123