Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Behavioral Activation: How To Be More Active in Your Life!

Challenging Your Lack of Motivation
    by Robert L. Leahy, PhD

• Don't wait for motivation to show up. Action creates motivation.
    • When you say you're not motivated to do something, you're really saying, "I don't want to do that." Be willing to do what you don't want to do.
    • Decide what kind of person you want to be. Do you want to be someone who waits for things to happen or someone who makes things happen?
    • Choose your purpose. Set specific goals you want to accomplish in the next day, week, month, and year.
    • What did you do when you weren't depressed? Act against your depression by doing some of those things.
    • Predict how much pleasure and effectiveness you expect to feel from a given activity. Then try it, and track the results. Test your pessimism.
    • Sample your reward menu. Add the activities that yield the most pleasure and effectiveness, and then put them on your schedule.
    • Examine the costs and benefits of doing things—long-term and short-term.
    • Don't expect an immediate payoff. Over time, your new habits will create new realities. You can start right now.

excerpted from: Beat the Blues Before They Beat You: How to Overcome Depression
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks Daniel. all excellent information and as I am currently going through a very low point at this time, it helps to read information to bring back the reality of being mindful, choices and decisions that affect what I do. And not resorting to victim mentality.

Does not make the depression less... but it changes the focus.

The Happiness Project: No More Complaining, "I Feel So Tired."

...This sounds like magical thinking, but hard science show that the “Fake it ‘till you feel it” strategy really works. The least productive approach is to do what I’ve been doing – dwelling on my feelings of tiredness...
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Insights on Insight
    by Sarah Ravin, PhD

..We learn and mature emotionally through experience. Thoughts and feelings follow from behavior, not the other way around. Simply knowing why you think the way you think, or why you feel the way you feel, does not change your thoughts or feelings. What does help change your thoughts and feelings is by acting opposite to them. So, for example, if you are feeling depressed and lethargic, sitting around the house all day by yourself trying to figure out why you’re depressed doesn’t make you less depressed. However, dragging yourself off the couch to go for a brisk walk outside, and then inviting some friends over to watch a funny movie, may very well lift your spirits, at least a little bit.

Our neural pathways are rewired not through developing insight, but through consistent, repetitive practice of new behaviors. You will not become a good athlete by watching sports or reading about sports. Rather, you develop and hone your athletic skills by consistent practice and physical conditioning...

from Behavioral Activation in Cognitive Behavior Therapy: Basics and Beyond
    by Judith Beck, PhD

Conceptualization of Inactivity
    Situation: Thinking about initiating an activity
    [Common] Automatic thoughts: "I'm too tired. I won't enjoy it. My friends won't want to spend time with me. I won't be able to do it. Nothing can help me feel better." -->
    [Common] Emotional reactions: Sadness, anxiety, hopelessness. -->
    [Common] Behavior: Remain inactive.

Conceptualization of Lack of Mastery or Pleasure
    Situation: Engaging in an activity
    [Common] Automatic thoughts: “I'm doing a terrible job. I should have done this long ago. There's still so much left to do. l can't do this as well as I used to. This used to be more fun. I don’t deserve to be doing this." -->
    [Common] Emotional reactions: Sadness, guilt, anger at self. -->
    [Common] Behaviors: Stop the activity. Push self beyond a reasonable point. Fail to repeat this activity in the future.

The No. 1 Contributor to Happiness
    by Karen Salmansohn, Bouncing Back

Psychologists suggest if you want to resiliently bounce back after a sideswiping, that you slowly increase your "internal locus of control" - the power you have to make easy, small changes. Studies even show that all you have to do is take control of a few small actions - and you'll be on your way to feeling like the master of your destiny once again...

Is an out-of-control life challenge making you feel "out of control" over your entire life? If so, stop lying around doing nothing. Stop sleeping late. Stop watching too much TV. Start recognizing that this lack of a disciplined schedule will only increase your feelings of being out of control of your life.

"For unhappy people, their time is unfilled, open, and uncommitted. They postpone things and are inefficient," says Oxford University psychologist Michael Argyle. "For happy people, time is filled and planned. They are punctual and efficient."

Today decide you will take back your autonomy by deciding to tap into your "internal locus of control!" Create three pre-set deadlines for new projects and three exciting events to be shared with loved ones. Mark them all down in your calendar. Then do these things and meet these people in a timely, efficient way. Know: Establishing pre-set deadlines -- then meeting them -- will absolutely help you once again feel like the kick-ass master of your destiny that you know you are!

Why You Can’t Just Think Your Way Out Of Depression
    by Clifford N. Lazarus, Ph.D. in Think Well

...I often tell my therapy clients "Your head and heart will follow your feet!" In other words, how you act (your feet) will often determine how you think (your head) and how you feel (your heart). Thus, you can't think your way out of depression, and not even the most experienced cognitive therapist can talk you out of it, but you can walk out of it. Hence, how you act can either carry you deeper into depression (and/or anxiety) or lead you out of it.

This is because there are "depressant" actions (that have neurochemically depleting effects on the brain) and "antidepressant" actions (that, like prescription antidepressants, have neurochemically replenishing effects on the brain).

Depressant actions typically include withdrawal, isolation, disconnection, general inactivity, and disengagement. Not surprisingly, antidepressant behavior usually involves participation, engagement, social involvement, physical movement, and reconnecting to activities you used to enjoy.

It might take some time to defeat depression because the idea that "the head and heart follow the feet" means that thoughts and feelings will come into alignment with action patterns but not necessarily right away. Your happier thinking and improved mood will lag behind the antidepressant actions just a bit because the slower, learning parts of the brain will need a little time to catch-up with the quickly reacting motor areas. Just be patient and let your feet walk you out of depression...

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Positive Activities Help to Relieve Depression - Psych Central News

...People often underestimate the long-term impact of practicing brief, positive activities, Lyubomirsky said.

For example, if a person gets 15 minutes of positive emotions from counting her blessings, she may muster the energy to attend the art class she’d long considered attending, and, while in class, might meet a friend who becomes a companion and confidant for years to come. In this way, even momentary positive feelings can build long-term social, psychological, intellectual, and physical skills and reserves...

Suggestions for Exercising When It Feels Impossible
    By Suzanne Phillips, Psy.D., ABPP, Healing Together for Couples

Don’t think Exercise – Think Movement with Motivation

Forget comparing yourself with the neighbor who jogs – start with a simple plan of moving, do it on your time and tie it to something you love.

• Park and Walk: If there is a store you like to shop in start your movement slowly by parking a little farther from the door each day. Plan this small but very big step, keep a tally – you will be surprised.
    • Talking with A Friend: Call for someone or have someone call for you and plan to walk even for only one block. Before you start give yourself permission to stop and turn back. You are in charge.
    • Choosing Support: There is power and motivation in the company of others, especially people who have an agenda similar to yours. In the case of two women who could not find a neighbor to walk with they came up with a plan of driving to each other’s neighborhood twice a week because they really wanted to talk to each other – they happened to also be walking.
    • Book Worm: Walk around your yard, your block or in a safe place listening to an audio book for 10 minutes. Only listen to the audio book while walking, standing, cleaning etc.
    • Re-runs Instead of Running: One man started walking on the old treadmill in the basement to watch re-runs of shows he loved- he wasn’t thinking of walking.
    • The Brain on Music: Research tells us that music has a powerful impact on brain stimulation. If you love certain music let it be your road out. Put on your earphones and turn the music on and it will help you put on your sneakers, open the door and start moving. Dance, vacuum, walk, ride a stationary bike to music. Choose a track that you only allow yourself to listen to when moving.
    • Visualize the Reward: I have an uncle who started walking to a bakery each morning. The whole way he visualized the muffin and coffee he planned to buy. He is still walking.

Similarly:

From "Have to" to "Get to"

Choose a particular task or situation in your life that feels like a burden. Try changing "have to" to "get to" and see if you get a different perspective. "Now I get to take out the garbage" just might make you feel grateful to the people who come and take it away. The more you notice what there is to be grateful for, the sooner your half-empty glass begins to look at least half-full.

Source: Awakening Joy: 10 Steps That Will Put You on the Road to Real Happiness

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

"Iron rusts from disuse, stagnant water loses its purity, and in cold weather becomes frozen; even so does inaction sap the vigors of the mind."
    — Leonardo da Vinci

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast