Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iraq Media coverage

Iraq Media coverage

Is it me? Or is there tooo much being shown on the news in regards to all goign on in Iraq?

Its worrisome enough with My Son being over there with the rpl's and the road side bombs, now add to this the fear of becoming and al quada hostage and the result of a situation such as that.

My sleep lacks,even with taking clonazapem, when I sleep I dream of things that I just wish would go away. I awaken, worried about my son as well as all others who are in the coaltion and volunteering to help over there. My sleep cycle is that of about 3 hours at a time. Making for a very exhausitng day with which I need to focus on learning, and not making it work too well this past week.

The constant showing of the prisioner abuse thing, and the tape with the poor hostage has got to slow down if not cease. I think people get the picture by now. If you don't get it, then something is wrong.

Off to search for peaceful sleep.

2. Advertisement
  3. Iraq Media coverage

Honestly, I don't watch television news any more and I rarely read the paper, although I started subscribing to the paper again recently at my sons' requests. I carry it in from the mailbox now and glance at the headlines and that's just about my limit...

I think journalism has gone way beyond informing and is now at "all the sensationalism that's fit or unfit to print" - I find most of it absolutely appalling. And having been involved in more than a few trials over the years, I know that it's also frequently inaccurate...

I do listen to bulletins on the car radio - and I figure if anything really important happens someone will tell me about it. But all those videos and pictures... it's just too graphic and too depressing.

Iraq Media coverage

Apparently this is even entering into the radio stations as well. I have heard on the news tonight that there are several stations that have played the sound from the execution of the hostage.

We have the tv and sometimes the newspapers becoming so graphic in what they present, as well as the repetivness of it all. Now the radio's are entering into this, what they seem to think, or is called sensationalisim.

I had told my husband that I had come across the link to this online thing with al quada. I would not give it to him or my son. I did not even watch it. I could never watch anything as gruesome as that. I also informed them that this is my pc and it will not be played on here. Well actually my husband and my pc. Of course that was in answer to them as to why I would not give them the link. My son is knowlegable enough to find it, however, my husband has just very limited internet know how and computer know how.

I just wonder where the line gets drawn on freedom of being able to view things going on, and the stations deciding that enough is enough. And I am sure that there are people out there who are being effected more then what I am.

5. Iraq Media coverage

Quote Originally Posted by momof5
    Apparently this is even entering into the radio stations as well. I have heard on the news tonight that there are several stations that have played the sound from the execution of the hostage.
    I just do not understand why any one would feel a need to play something like that over and over...
    I just wonder where the line gets drawn on freedom of being able to view things going on, and the stations deciding that enough is enough. And I am sure that there are people out there who are being effected more then what I am.
    I saw a story recently from, I think, the American Psychiatric Association or perhaps the American Psychological Association (both being APA - go figure) regarding concerns about young children being affected by these sorts of news stories - car crashes, plane crashes, murders - and the need to protect younger children from seeing these things on TV: Another reminder of how important it is for parents to be vigilant these days about what our children are seeing and hearing.

Iraq Media coverage

I totally agree with you on protecting children from things on tv. And this even includes the cartoons that they watch.

I remember when Pee Wee Herman was really big. I would not let my children watch him. Yes, I was ridiculed by many over it. However, he just gave me the ebbies in large doses. Seems as though my opnion about him was correct in regards to some of the things he has been charged with.

They are restricted from just about all cartoons right now for their constant bickering with each other.

I'm lucky with my children for the most part. When I do restrict them, they will switch to the history chanel, and my youngest has a few old old elvis tapes that he watches. Next to the oldst is a Frank sinatra fan.

To me it just seems that things are totally out of hand in all areas right now. Music, tv, radio broadcasts. Even what is availbe on the internet. And teachers forcing their students to watch this beheading, or giving out the address online for it?

7. Iraq Media coverage

my youngest has a few old old Elvis tapes that he watches. Next to the oldest is a Frank Sinatra fan.
    I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but that will change about age 13-14, you know, if not sooner... ;o)

And teachers forcing their students to watch this beheading, or giving out the address online for it?
    Now that one I hadn't heard - that is nothing short of disgraceful...

Iraq Media coverage

Adam is 15 and still loves Frank Sinatra. So I don't think that Joey will change too much.

The teachers were from California, no surprise there though right? There were 3 of them that were suspended yesterday. A few other states had teachers giving out the web address. Like these kids need more things to look at online. argh!

Iraq Media coverage

I find it extremely difficult to watch the news anymore. When I hear of deaths in Iraq ....I see families in pain. It is annoying to me that Bush will not allow the coffins to be seen. One presentation that I did happen to see on CNN discussed the difference between England and the U.S. in honoring their fallen.

The thought of seeing or hearing the gruesome beheading is beyond me....when I first heard the news and saw the limited version CNN was showing it literally took my breath away and made feel nauseous.

momof5...pardon my ignorance but I do not know what rpl means...my thoughts are with you regarding your son...I cannot imagine what it feels like to have a son over there right now.

Iraq Media coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Janeanne
    I do not know what rpl means
    Rocket propeled launchers.

I think it is more difficult for all who have loved ones over there since the beheading. It makes it even more reall the dangers over there. Not that we didn't realize them before. Its just way more reall right now.

I understand both sides of the not being able to view the coffins. This has actually been a rule for several administrations. Its just during this one that it is being obeyed.

I don't think I would want to see them if it were my son returning in one of them. Yet there are those who do wish to see them.

I don't think that the girl should have been fired though that took the pictures. I think that went a bit too far.

11. Iraq Media coverage

I understand both sides of the not being able to view the coffins. This has actually been a rule for several administrations. Its just during this one that it is being obeyed.

I don't think I would want to see them if it were my son returning in one of them. Yet there are those who do wish to see them.
    It is helpful to hear that this policy is appreciated by people like yourself who actually have family members serving in Iraq. I wrongly believed that people would want coffins seen in honor and recognition of the soldiers who have died. It is a reminder to me how "individual" these issues are. Future policy I believe should first and foremost respect individual wishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast