Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Meta analysis debunks psychopathy-violence link

Fascinating... I was debating this whole thing myself, just because my mom has NPD. I thought for a while there that she might be a psychopath... You know, how she came across as so fake all the time. But, she's too emotional and irrational, I think, to be a psychopath.

It will be interesting to hear what they come up with in the DSM5...
    (Formerly JollyGreenJellyBean)

My dog is a human whisperer.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol Man, I had to revisit this thread...

I am on a couple of support groups on FB regarding NPD... One is called "NPD Survivors" and one is "Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers"...

I feel completely at ease in "Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers" but the other one seems to be all over the place. The reason is, they seem to also think that if someone has NPD they are also Psychopathic. I tried to tell them the differences between someone who is a psychopath and someone who has narcissistic personality disorder, but they flat-out disagree with me. I left "NPD Survivors" because they aren't just about NPD, it seems. They seem to discuss just plain Narcissism (not the disorder) and how it negatively affects them and some of them even were saying they like to act out vindictively toward these people because they are conceited jerks. Others seem to have actually been talking about being raised by or being in a relationship with NPD, and others still describe experiences with full-blown psychopaths.

It's frustrating to me because I think it's self-destructive to try to be vindictive toward someone with NPD or definitely a psychopath. If everyone is talking about something else and thinking they are talking about the same thing, how helpful is that? lol When I explained that a NPD is formed, and a psychopath is born that way, I got told that people with NPD have psychopathic traits and even got quoted from the DSM. I tried to explain, yes that there is some overlap, blah blah blah but I might as well have been talking to a wall. Someone said people with NPD aren't sick, they are just different. lol Then someone else chimed in saying that I should just let people vent and talk about their experiences, and that I possibly misinterpreted what was being said, etc... Hence the leaving. I don't know if ANY of those people were actually doctors or psychologists or psychiatrists, but they all seemed to be highly-educated lay people like me. Mind you I suppose if I was doing searches on the internet to prove my parents were psychopaths, I would find things to support my theories, but I understand that you could get just as much supporting information if you researched the NPD, although has some overlapping traits of psychopathy, is different.

I guess some people feel strongly that their parents with NPD are also psychopaths, and I don't blame them. I have heard two (out of three) psychologists now who say that NPD does not equal Psychopathy. I have heard several people with anecdotal experience say they NPD=Pyschopathic.

Who would you tend to go with? Someone who has the education and experience giving therapy but never actually experienced being in a relationship with someone with NPD, or with throngs of people who have had actual experiences being abused by people with NPD? lol

Sheez, I hope this debate will be resolved once the new DSM is published.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure the debate will be resolved. As I see it, there is a difference between people with NPD and psychopaths. NPD people do have emotions but their emotions are turned inwards; they can only feel sorry for themselves; feel upset for themselves; feel sad for themselves; they cannot feel sorry or upset or sad for others. Therefore people with NPD can be upset and can cry; they do have real emotions. Psychopaths, on the hand don't have true emotions. They don't feel sad or sorry for themselves as such in that they don't really feel true sadness or are truly upset (as in tearful). They can only feel anger, rage, possessiveness, jealosy, boredom, gratification, entitlement etc. I think you get the drift. Unfortunately though, it is probably difficult for the onlooker, sig other, to be able to know the difference. After a conversation on here with David Baxter, I do believe there is a difference. I believe I have a family member who is NPD and I have met a friend's partner who I believe to be a psychopath and the two are very different animals. One is annoying and difficult or impossible to live with and the other plain cold and chillingly scary.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right... Well, try to convince an angry mob of that! lol

There's the small minority who really knows what's going on and wants to help the masses, but the masses are being pulled along by their emotions, and confused and angry and wanting to beat the crap out of the people who are trying to help them just because of an argument over a definition. Jinkies. I hate to see fighting when everyone is on the same side. 8P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12