Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Telephone

Telephone

My mother recently wrote me a letter and told me she has a phobia of talking on the telephone. Does anyone now of this is a common phobia?

Re: Telephone

Yes, among people with social anxiety. Such a phobia is not likely to be limited to talking on the phone.

(If she was able to talk on the phone without anxiety or anticipatory anxiety, a mere preference for not talking on the phone could just be introversion.)
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks, Daniel. This is a relatively new symptom that only appears when she talks to me on the phone, not to my sisters. Its hard not to take personally. Thing is, she's also bipolar, so I'm not sure if this is a social anxiety symptom or if she's just playing mind games with me.
    Last edited by marie2010; September 26th, 2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling typo

I don't know, but even if it was social anxiety, the treatment would include talking on the phone rather than avoiding it.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thats a good point, Daniel.