Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Stigma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The Stigma

It is one thing that your husband does not participate or actively work towards the goal, but more ditsturbing that he needs to lie. I am glad that you have it in some kind of perspective. I had asked the question hoping that your home offered some kind of support structure. I am sorry.

I too have always found something real, nostalgic, human about writting. I reamember going into an abandoned house in Nova Scotia. I went into the attic and found some very old newspapers. I also found some letters and notes. One, that I treasure, was a poem, maybe a school assignment, written with ink well and pen. The pages were joined by a sewing pin.
    The digital days are going to lose something.
    Peter

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

And happy Valentines day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am lucky to have a job and a boss who generally is understanding of my health problems. I say generally because he listened to me tell him about my bipolar condition and nodded nicely. He does not like to talk about deep things in general and I'm sure that this makes him uncomfortable. I have told some other coworkers about my condition but not all and here's my dilemna. When I need to take a day off for "healing" or "rest", I will often invent a condition for the day like the flu or my car is not working. I am not comfortable with this but I am less comfortable with telling people the real reason for my time off because it would involve a long explanation that I'm not sure would be understood. I guess I feel forced to lie and I don't like it, I don't feel comfortable telling everyone the truth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Knitwit
    I find that compassionate people who may not fully understand the issue can still find ways to give. Your boss sounds like one of those.

And a little white lie is OK in my book as long as you acknowledge it to yourself which you have. You can also find a long term way to introduce truth to the discussions when you feel it is appropriate.
    My solution tends to be to tell everyone because then I don't have to juggle a lie and I feel like it validates me to say things aloud. But my way is not everyone's way.
    I have also found that when you tell one person or more, the word gets around through the grapevine. It may only say: this person has a condition. but the word is passed around because we are social beings.
    I hope you are having a good day today.
    Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am now very selective aboout who I tell about my depression and past suicidal thoughts. My close friends and some family members have been very supportive while others have told me "to snap out of it" or accused me of "faking it". Both of those responses made me wary of sharing the information. I am sad that in this day and age with the media campaigns and awareness that we should have, people still don't understand how difficult depression is to cope with at times.
    Change begins when you practice ordinary courage

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234