Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Depression/Anxiety and smoking pot

Have anyone any info. on the impacts of smoking pot while suffering from major depression and GAD (e.g. worsens symptoms? prevents recovery? negative reactions when combined with prescribed meds?).

Also, I know that excessive pot use in early years has been linked to schitsophrenia (sorry about the spelling). Has anyone seen studies that link its use to later depression and anxiety disorders?

I'm just trying to get a handle on whether pot use is an outcome (self-medicating) of mental disorders OR a potencial cause (does excessive usage actually cause mental illness).

Thanks!

Have anyone any info. on the impacts of smoking pot while suffering from major depression and GAD (e.g. worsens symptoms? prevents recovery? negative reactions when combined with prescribed meds?).

Also, I know that excessive pot use in early years has been linked to schitsophrenia (sorry about the spelling). Has anyone seen studies that link its use to later depression and anxiety disorders?

I'm just trying to get a handle on whether pot use is an outcome (self-medicating) of mental disorders OR a potencial cause (does excessive usage actually cause mental illness).

Thanks!

I believe that the available evidence suggests that it is both -- individuals do use pot to self-medicate although more often than not it make the problem worse rather than better, and excessive and prolonged use of pot is linked to increase incidence of various disorders, including scizophrenia and depression.

I believe that the available evidence suggests that it is both -- individuals do use pot to self-medicate although more often than not it make the problem worse rather than better, and excessive and prolonged use of pot is linked to increase incidence of various disorders, including scizophrenia and depression.