Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diagnosis

diagnosis

I'm new to this forum and was impressed by all the information supplied by the administrator of this site. When registering I stated I was treated for depression for years and then diagnosed with bp. I must correct this. I have been in treatment with a psychiatrist for 10 years.

My psyche has not provided me with a diagnosis but has done well adjusting my medication and providing appropriate therapy to help control my fluctuating moods.

My doctor seems to avoid the issue of discussing diagnosis and it makes me wonder if she really knows my diagnosis.

Lactimal and resperdal have been prescribed with good results. I did some reseach and thought these meds were related for bp treatment.

Is diagnosis neccessay or even all that important for a patient to know??

I'm going to address this issue with her at my next follow up and let you know the outcome.

diagnosis

I'm new to this forum and was impressed by all the information supplied by the administrator of this site. When registering I stated I was treated for depression for years and then diagnosed with bp. I must correct this. I have been in treatment with a psychiatrist for 10 years.

My psyche has not provided me with a diagnosis but has done well adjusting my medication and providing appropriate therapy to help control my fluctuating moods.

My doctor seems to avoid the issue of discussing diagnosis and it makes me wonder if she really knows my diagnosis.

Lactimal and resperdal have been prescribed with good results. I did some reseach and thought these meds were related for bp treatment.

Is diagnosis neccessay or even all that important for a patient to know??

I'm going to address this issue with her at my next follow up and let you know the outcome.

diagnosis

There are a number of medications that were originally developed for one purpose and yet are commonly used to treat other conditions than the original. One example is SSRI antidepressants, which are now also used to treat anxiety disorders, eating disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, self-injury, and even attention deficit disorder. Another is clonazepam (and similar medications), originally developed to treat eplilepsy but now commonly used for treatment of anxiety and sleep disorders. The atypical antipsychotics have been found to be helpful in treating depression and anxiety disorders. Mood stabilizers such as lamictal (lamotrigine, which was also originally developed to treat something else, epilepsy if I'm not mistaken) may be used for recurrent depression or other mood disorders.

Thus, it may be true that the medications you are taking are most commonly used to treat bipolar disorder but the fact that you are prescribed those does not necessarily indicate in itself that that is the diagnosis you have been given. I think these days physicians will use what works, based on the symptoms you are exhibiting, without worrying too much about why the drug was originally marketed.

Could your diagnosis be bipolar disorder? Sure. You might want to ask your doctor about that, as you suggest. Is it necessary or even all that important for you to know the diagnosis? That's difficult to answer -- I think it's important for some of my clients and not important or possibly even detrimental for others.

diagnosis

There are a number of medications that were originally developed for one purpose and yet are commonly used to treat other conditions than the original. One example is SSRI antidepressants, which are now also used to treat anxiety disorders, eating disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, self-injury, and even attention deficit disorder. Another is clonazepam (and similar medications), originally developed to treat eplilepsy but now commonly used for treatment of anxiety and sleep disorders. The atypical antipsychotics have been found to be helpful in treating depression and anxiety disorders. Mood stabilizers such as lamictal (lamotrigine, which was also originally developed to treat something else, epilepsy if I'm not mistaken) may be used for recurrent depression or other mood disorders.

Thus, it may be true that the medications you are taking are most commonly used to treat bipolar disorder but the fact that you are prescribed those does not necessarily indicate in itself that that is the diagnosis you have been given. I think these days physicians will use what works, based on the symptoms you are exhibiting, without worrying too much about why the drug was originally marketed.

Could your diagnosis be bipolar disorder? Sure. You might want to ask your doctor about that, as you suggest. Is it necessary or even all that important for you to know the diagnosis? That's difficult to answer -- I think it's important for some of my clients and not important or possibly even detrimental for others.

diagnosis

I saw my psychiatrist today and we discussed my diagnosis. She stated that since I had previous history of depression, paranoid delusions and depression she felt I have a personality disorder.

Very general I might add. She also mentioned a schizo-affective personality and went into Axises. I'm not that familiar with all she mentioned and honestly I don't care as long as I am feeling well.

I wouldn't say I'm 100% but I have found out over the years I function very well with medication management.

I still find I worry more than I should. I recently (today as a matter of fact) secured a job I have been waiting for, for a long time. Wish me luck.

diagnosis

I saw my psychiatrist today and we discussed my diagnosis. She stated that since I had previous history of depression, paranoid delusions and depression she felt I have a personality disorder.

Very general I might add. She also mentioned a schizo-affective personality and went into Axises. I'm not that familiar with all she mentioned and honestly I don't care as long as I am feeling well.

I wouldn't say I'm 100% but I have found out over the years I function very well with medication management.

I still find I worry more than I should. I recently (today as a matter of fact) secured a job I have been waiting for, for a long time. Wish me luck.

diagnosis

Probably schizoaffective disorder -- a mixture of mood disorder with some delusional thinking or possibly hallucinations.

Do you have a history of drug abuse?

diagnosis

Probably schizoaffective disorder -- a mixture of mood disorder with some delusional thinking or possibly hallucinations.

Do you have a history of drug abuse?

diagnosis

Good luck with the new job, hon. :o)

If you really want a name for your symptoms, you can ask your therapist. She/he may decide it would benefit you to know, or they may decide it won't. For me, it wouldn't matter. As long as my symptoms are controlled, and I'm feeling well and getting along in life without undue difficulties, you can call me Sam, or you can call me Fred. ;-)

diagnosis

Good luck with the new job, hon. :o)

If you really want a name for your symptoms, you can ask your therapist. She/he may decide it would benefit you to know, or they may decide it won't. For me, it wouldn't matter. As long as my symptoms are controlled, and I'm feeling well and getting along in life without undue difficulties, you can call me Sam, or you can call me Fred. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast