Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I need help for Social Anxiety

Hi Dr. Baxter,

I am a 41 year old woman who has suffered from social anxiety since my teens. I was on Paxil for years but recently quit because I found the side effects to be intolerable and really felt the drug wasn't helping with my social anxiety anway. I've been off Paxil for 4 months and slowly my anxiety has been increasing. This disorder is so frustrating! I am so lonely and really do want to get out there and have fun with people but my anxiety becomes so great sometimes, that I just freeze up and want to hide! It is ridiculous! I feel like a bashful 13 year old instead of the mature woman that I am! Acckkkk!

Do you know of any psychologists or psychiatrists who specifically treat social phobia in the Ottawa area?

Hi Dr. Baxter,

I am a 41 year old woman who has suffered from social anxiety since my teens. I was on Paxil for years but recently quit because I found the side effects to be intolerable and really felt the drug wasn't helping with my social anxiety anway. I've been off Paxil for 4 months and slowly my anxiety has been increasing. This disorder is so frustrating! I am so lonely and really do want to get out there and have fun with people but my anxiety becomes so great sometimes, that I just freeze up and want to hide! It is ridiculous! I feel like a bashful 13 year old instead of the mature woman that I am! Acckkkk!

Do you know of any psychologists or psychiatrists who specifically treat social phobia in the Ottawa area?

Paxil can be a difficult medication for some people, but fortunately there are several other choices.

Please see your email for treatment options.

Paxil can be a difficult medication for some people, but fortunately there are several other choices.

Please see your email for treatment options.

Dr. Baxter-

I also suffer from social anxiety and have been in therapy for it -- both individual and group CBT, but it didn't help. I've known that my SAD is rooted in low self-esteem for some time, but didn't there was a way to treat low self-esteem. I thought that if I could get over my SAD, it would raise my self-esteem. A few weeks ago I started reading some books about self-esteem ("Six Pillars of Self-esteem", "Self-esteem Workbook"...). The authors talk about "being a friend to yourself" and I've been trying to do that. It seems to be working. I'm feeling better about myself and socializing is getting easier.

Have your found that most people with SAD also have low self-esteem and is it usually the low self-esteem that causes their SAD? Just curious.

Dr. Baxter-

I also suffer from social anxiety and have been in therapy for it -- both individual and group CBT, but it didn't help. I've known that my SAD is rooted in low self-esteem for some time, but didn't there was a way to treat low self-esteem. I thought that if I could get over my SAD, it would raise my self-esteem. A few weeks ago I started reading some books about self-esteem ("Six Pillars of Self-esteem", "Self-esteem Workbook"...). The authors talk about "being a friend to yourself" and I've been trying to do that. It seems to be working. I'm feeling better about myself and socializing is getting easier.

Have your found that most people with SAD also have low self-esteem and is it usually the low self-esteem that causes their SAD? Just curious.

I suppose that they do tend to go hand in hand but I'm not sure one causes the other... As an example of a similar correlation, individuals with ADHD also tend to suffer from low self-esteem and depression but in all likelihood those things stem from their sense of failure and the reactions of other people rather than from the ADHD.

I suppose that they do tend to go hand in hand but I'm not sure one causes the other... As an example of a similar correlation, individuals with ADHD also tend to suffer from low self-esteem and depression but in all likelihood those things stem from their sense of failure and the reactions of other people rather than from the ADHD.

Hi Benjamin,

I am not Dr. Baxter but I would like to answer your question. There seems to be a number of factors that are involved in social anxiety. These factors include:

1.) Being overly concerned about negative evaluation.

2.) A tendency of focusing on the reaction of others.

3.) Avoidance of social situations, which can result in depression and loneliness.

CBT has been found to be the most effective in dealing with social anxiety. I would encourage you to stay in therapy...first individual, then when you are ready for a group get involved there and make sure to bring any discomfort to your therapist. The self help books can be helpful but along with regular individual therapy. Best wishes and keep us posted.

Hi Benjamin,

I am not Dr. Baxter but I would like to answer your question. There seems to be a number of factors that are involved in social anxiety. These factors include:

1.) Being overly concerned about negative evaluation.

2.) A tendency of focusing on the reaction of others.

3.) Avoidance of social situations, which can result in depression and loneliness.

CBT has been found to be the most effective in dealing with social anxiety. I would encourage you to stay in therapy...first individual, then when you are ready for a group get involved there and make sure to bring any discomfort to your therapist. The self help books can be helpful but along with regular individual therapy. Best wishes and keep us posted.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast