Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Help w/Career Decisions Please

Hi, first post to this forum. Don't even know if I'm in the right place, but I have some questions on a career in counseling. I would like to counsel troubled children someday but know this will require extensive training.

I have 2 years toward my Bachelor's Degree in Psychology from 1990, but attended a 4-year college so didn't get even an Associates. After I left college, I had to take jobs that I could do at the time which was secretarial work. Now, after 15 years, I would like to get focused back on a career down the psychological path, but am having trouble finding a job w/o that Bachelor's Degree or even an Associates. All the jobs I look at require a Bachelor's Degree or an Associates w/experience working w/children. I have the 63 credits, but do not have the child experience they are looking for.

My question is, are there jobs out there that can maybe do an on-the-job type of training, such as residential treatment facilities or anything like that? Or do I need to have that Bachelor's Degree in order to look for anything? Right now, I know I could probably receive financial aid to pay for tuition if I go back to school, but $ is extremely low to pay for books. What would be my best course of action at this point?

Hi, first post to this forum. Don't even know if I'm in the right place, but I have some questions on a career in counseling. I would like to counsel troubled children someday but know this will require extensive training.

I have 2 years toward my Bachelor's Degree in Psychology from 1990, but attended a 4-year college so didn't get even an Associates. After I left college, I had to take jobs that I could do at the time which was secretarial work. Now, after 15 years, I would like to get focused back on a career down the psychological path, but am having trouble finding a job w/o that Bachelor's Degree or even an Associates. All the jobs I look at require a Bachelor's Degree or an Associates w/experience working w/children. I have the 63 credits, but do not have the child experience they are looking for.

My question is, are there jobs out there that can maybe do an on-the-job type of training, such as residential treatment facilities or anything like that? Or do I need to have that Bachelor's Degree in order to look for anything? Right now, I know I could probably receive financial aid to pay for tuition if I go back to school, but $ is extremely low to pay for books. What would be my best course of action at this point?

I wish I could be more encouraging but realistically it is going to be difficult to find a job as a counselor without a minimum of a Bachelor's degree... in fact, most would probably require a Master's degree as a minimum. I'm not aware of any "on the job training" programs that would qualify you.

I wish I could be more encouraging but realistically it is going to be difficult to find a job as a counselor without a minimum of a Bachelor's degree... in fact, most would probably require a Master's degree as a minimum. I'm not aware of any "on the job training" programs that would qualify you.

Thanks for the reply. I think I knew this, just wanted to confirm. Guess I'll have to start getting busy looking into financial aid, colleges & so forth so I can go back to school.

I did take civil testing today for a social services aide I. This was through the local government that high school graduates could take. The job requirements also stated that after 1 yr of service as an Aide I, I could take the testing for Aide 2 & then Aide 3, etc.

Could this also be a route I could take which would give me time to complete my Bachelor's when & if money would become available?

Thanks for the reply. I think I knew this, just wanted to confirm. Guess I'll have to start getting busy looking into financial aid, colleges & so forth so I can go back to school.

I did take civil testing today for a social services aide I. This was through the local government that high school graduates could take. The job requirements also stated that after 1 yr of service as an Aide I, I could take the testing for Aide 2 & then Aide 3, etc.

Could this also be a route I could take which would give me time to complete my Bachelor's when & if money would become available?

I would think so, yes. Yeras ago I worked with a guy who got some sort of behavioral science degree at a community college -- that permitted him to get a lower level position while he went back to school to complete his degrees.

I would think so, yes. Yeras ago I worked with a guy who got some sort of behavioral science degree at a community college -- that permitted him to get a lower level position while he went back to school to complete his degrees.