Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Which of these triggers a migraine for you? (Multiple Choices OK)

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stress

13 61.90%
  • Hormones (if you are a woman)

5 23.81%
  • Not Eating

6 28.57%
  • Weather

9 42.86%
  • Sleep Disturbances

9 42.86%
  • Perfume or Odour

6 28.57%
  • Neck Pain

9 42.86%
  • Lights

9 42.86%
  • Alcohol

4 19.05%
  • Other

9 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Migraine Triggers

The triggers or precipitants of the acute migraine attack
    L Kelman
    Article first published online: 30 MAR 2007

The aim of this study was to evaluate and define the triggers of the acute migraine attack. Patients rated triggers on a 0–3 scale for the average headache. Demographics, prodrome, aura, headache characteristics, postdrome, medication responsiveness, acute and chronic disability, sleep characteristics and social and personal characteristics were also recorded. One thousand two hundred and seven International

Classification of Headache Disorders-2 (1.1–1.2, and 1.5.1) patients were evaluated, of whom 75.9% reported triggers (40.4% infrequently, 26.7% frequently and 8.8% very frequently). The trigger frequencies were stress (79.7%), hormones in women (65.1%), not eating (57.3%), weather (53.2%), sleep disturbance (49.8%), perfume or odour (43.7%), neck pain (38.4%), light(s) (38.1%), alcohol (37.8%), smoke (35.7%), sleeping late (32.0%), heat (30.3%), food (26.9%), exercise (22.1%) and sexual activity (5.2%).

Triggers were more likely to be associated with a more florid acute migraine attack. Differences were seen between women and men, aura and no aura, episodic and chronic migraine, and between migraine and probable migraine.

Take a moment to respond to the attached poll to see how Psychlinks members compare to the study.

Do you have specific triggers that cause you a particular problem?
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Re: Migraine Triggers

I only get a migraine (and a killer) as a drug withdrawal from my caffeine addiction. I MUST have caffeine or I will go into hours of pain where I must go into a darkened room. Because of this, I keep no-doz by my bed to take on awakening.

drug withdrawal from my caffeine addiction
    Why don't you address the root of the problem by getting help to overcome your addiction to caffeine?
    Steve

Because it's not worth it to me. I either drink one cup of coffee or take 1/2 no-doz. That isn't a major inconvenience and it's one that I'm willing to put up with. I have tried a few times, basically, because I don't like the thought of being controlled by a substance, but the pain has lasted for more than six weeks, and I have missed the coffee.

Caffeine is certainly your choice.

You may be interested in this article on Medicine-net

And these from the Mayo Clinic:

Caffeine- MayoClinic.com

Caffeine content for coffee, tea, soda and more - MayoClinic.com
    Steve

I was starting to get a migraine earlier today and I started craving chocolate.I ate 1/3 of a bag of Hershey's Kisses and now not only do I have a full blown migraine,but I feel sick from eating so much chocolate.

I want to say the chocolate caused the migraine,but I was already getting one before I ate it. Would the migraine have been this bad if I hadn't eaten the chocolate?

And,I have never been able to figure out if neck pain and stiffness is causing migraines or a result of them.How do I know the difference?

LIT,

Have you been diagnosed as having migraine, or are you referring to having had a bad headache. Migraine is a very specific neurological disorder and not just a bad headache, as the makers of some OTC medications would have us believe.

The hallmark symptoms of migraine include being sensitive to light, being incapacitated and nausea. Migraine is often described as a one sided headache, or severe pain in one eye.
    Steve

Yes.I was told the migraines are part of my dissociative disorder.

LIT,

You may find this Forum post of interest, as it addresses what you're asking about triggers:

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/headaches...after-all.html
    Steve

I don't get them often but stress yes
    lights sometimes especially if i watch 3D movie i get so sick never again will i go there
    some chocolate i think causes it
    I was just given prescription never had one before take from my doctor 3 dissolved aspirins in warm water or tea followed by maxeran and it worked thank god
    Words always stay inside ones soul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast