Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I am a Highly Sensitive Person

Hi,

I'm an HSP, and an intuitive Empath. I've been able to walk into a room and sense what people are feeling, when I'm grounded, and sure of myself, I radiate positive energy....I have an ability to draw people to me. Now, I also believe that I have an attachment/insecurity/fear of abandonment disorder. My parents separated when I was very young, all my life I've lived with this feeling of inadequacy. Even though I'm told I'm very attractive, and I have many talents, cooking, singing, writing, and playing music. Also, at the age of 8 I ended up losing my step-father to an impaired driver...he got hit and died. At 11, I ended up losing my aunt/godmother, and at 20 I lost my mom to cancer. So for the first 20 years of my life I was taken care of, and taking care of my mom. After her death, I didn't want to burden anyone with that loss...therefore I opted to stay away from relationships for a good two years. While I was away for Easter visiting family out of town, my first girlfriend ended up getting raped, that ended shortly thereafter. After losing my mom, the next girlfriend I had was super jealous and manipulative....I was basically whipped...since then I've been scared to get into relationships. Years later I met another girl, things were good....but because she thought I wasn't getting any sexual satisfaction with her (which I was) she freaked out on me.. and almost gave me a complex. Next...I decided to risk dating my best friend at the time...though things were going well... and was happy with her....my insecurities began to come out...she was pushing me away, and I guess at the same time I was doing the same. I don't know if it is because I'm an empath..and I literally "feel" other peoples feelings. So was it my feelings of insecurity or abandonment or hers, or both? She kept questioning me whether or not I was going to leave her.. I always told her no... she did have anxiety problems.. and I was doing my best to reassure her. But...I guess at one point.. I lost my patience... I began to feel like there was no hope of things getting better ...and so I ended things prematurely. Now..after that loss, I thought I was able to cope..but I was clearly lying to myself...I began consuming more drugs, making stupid purchases, and I began having random sex (which is something I don't enjoy doing.) Needless to say... I ruined any chance of being able to get back together with her...but after two years....I'm still hurting. I'm wanting to seek help...because I know that if I don't resolve these issues...I won't be able to have a fulfilling relationship and life, and if this sadness continues....or doesn't resolve...I don't know what I'm going to do.
    Last edited by David Baxter; June 8th, 2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: post moved to its own thread

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I think I am a Highly Sensitive Person

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew View Post
    I'm an HSP, and an intuitive Empath.
    What is "an intuitive Empath" and what makes you think you are one?

I've been able to walk into a room and sense what people are feeling
    How do you know this?

I don't know if it is because I'm an empath..and I literally "feel" other peoples feelings.
    How can you know this to be true? How do you confirm that your guesses about what others are feeling are accurate? How do you think you are different from kost other people in this respect?

I'm wanting to seek help...because I know that if I don't resolve these issues...I won't be able to have a fulfilling relationship and life, and if this sadness continues....or doesn't resolve...I don't know what I'm going to do.
    What specific two issues do you think you need to resolve?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm still hurting. I'm wanting to seek help
    these are your words hun Call your GP and set up an appointment to see a therapist a psychologist that will help you deal with all the emotions the sadness the pain you are in. The sooner you get help the sooner you can move forward in a more positive light okay I am sorry you are in such deep pain. I understand abandonment and the damage it can cause so i do hope you can take the time NOW to focus on your needs okay and get some help to heal YOU. hugs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mathew,
    The world can be a painful place - even without the added layer of being a highly sensitive person. Have you read:

Amazon.com: The Highly Sensitive Person (9780553062182): Elaine N. Aron Ph.D.: Books

If you are so inclined, there is also an accompanying work-book and another book by the same author entitled: "The Highly Sensitive Person in Love". I agree with Spirit - it seems like the first steps might be to get yourself to someone objective that you can talk with about your experiences and your reactions. The complicating piece for most HSP is the lack of ability to self-soothe the overwhelming emotions that are experienced. (Because it is unsual for HSP to have been parented by someone(s) who understand and can help the HSP learn the skills necessary to successfully navigate the world - without judging self for who you are.) So, you had some really bad things happen to you, but you may need some additional help dealing with the aftermath because of how you are hard-wired and make sense of the world. Take care as best you are able.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to see someone next week, I don't really believe in meds...it doesn't work well for me.

I was raised by someone who was an HSP, thing is...my mom never realized that she was herself. I've been able to move on from most of the bad stuff that has happened. I consider myself a strong person, however, because I don't see loved one's regularly...it's making things more difficult. This shall pass.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am going to see someone next week, I don't really believe in meds...it doesn't work well for me.

I was raised by someone who was an HSP, thing is...my mom never realized that she was herself. I've been able to move on from most of the bad stuff that has happened. I consider myself a strong person, however, because I don't see loved one's regularly...it's making things more difficult. This shall pass.
    Hi again i did not believe in medication either was totally against them but you know i did try them and the one med did take away some of that sadness and pain i was holding onto. It decrease it some i should say. I think give yourself a chance okay try the meds if they do not work you can always stop them. but that is your choice. Strength has nothing to do with it hun i am strong i have always been strong but unless you deal with that pain NO it will not just pass learned that the hard way. That pain has to be confronted the sadness with it the emotions all of it It won't just pass.
    I am happy to hear you are going to see someone next week and i hope you continue to see them to get the therapy you need to help you as said cope with the emotions that tend to overwhelm you
    Good for you for reaching out and getting an appointment to get some help hugs