Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agoraphobia Help?

Hi,

I suffer from agoraphobia and as such, it is very difficult for me to leave the house on my own. Recently, my support network has been getting smaller and smaller, so I've begun looking for help elsewhere. However, I have recently learned that the Anxiety Disorders Associations of Ontario no longer has a Volunteer Companion Program. Does anyone know of any other organisations in Ottawa that offer similar help?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agoraphobia Help?

Hi,

I suffer from agoraphobia and as such, it is very difficult for me to leave the house on my own. Recently, my support network has been getting smaller and smaller, so I've begun looking for help elsewhere. However, I have recently learned that the Anxiety Disorders Associations of Ontario no longer has a Volunteer Companion Program. Does anyone know of any other organisations in Ottawa that offer similar help?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agoraphobia Help?

I wasn't aware of that. Have you tried asking them for an alternative resource?

You might also try CMHA at (613) 737-7791

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agoraphobia Help?

I wasn't aware of that. Have you tried asking them for an alternative resource?

You might also try CMHA at (613) 737-7791

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agoraphobia Help?

Sweetanise,

This must be a recent change at the ADAO.

You probably are familiar with their website, which continues to indicate they provide Volunteer Companion Program.

http://www.anxietyontario.com/index.html

Have you spoken to the directly to hear it first hand?

The ADAO provides:
    Anxiety Management Workshop
    Volunteer Companion Program
    Support Group
    Material
    Contact Information:

Anxiety Disorders Associations of Ontario
    Heartwood House
    153 Chapel Street
    Ottawa, Ontario
    K1N 1H5

613-729-6761 (Ottawa and surrounding area)
    1-877-308-3843 (toll-free)

Another option you may wish to investigate, because they claim to offer support to people with agoraphobia is:

PSYCHIATRIC SURVIVORS OF ONTARIO (P.S.O.)
    211 Bronson Avenue, Suite 313
    Ottawa, Ontario K1R 6H5
    567-4379

Advocacy, referral and support organization for survivors and users of the mental health system. Promotes greater survivor participation in changing the mental health system, building a supportive survivor community and developing alternative resources as defined by members. Members drop in for socializing and to use resource library, computer, fax machine, photocopier and lounge area. Workshops for member development, advocacy discussion group, social-education meetings. Call for more information about meeting dates, times and locations.
    Let us know if you learn more about support for agoraphobia in Ottawa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agoraphobia Help?

Sweetanise,

This must be a recent change at the ADAO.

You probably are familiar with their website, which continues to indicate they provide Volunteer Companion Program.

http://www.anxietyontario.com/index.html

Have you spoken to the directly to hear it first hand?

The ADAO provides:
    Anxiety Management Workshop
    Volunteer Companion Program
    Support Group
    Material
    Contact Information:

Anxiety Disorders Associations of Ontario
    Heartwood House
    153 Chapel Street
    Ottawa, Ontario
    K1N 1H5

613-729-6761 (Ottawa and surrounding area)
    1-877-308-3843 (toll-free)

Another option you may wish to investigate, because they claim to offer support to people with agoraphobia is:

PSYCHIATRIC SURVIVORS OF ONTARIO (P.S.O.)
    211 Bronson Avenue, Suite 313
    Ottawa, Ontario K1R 6H5
    567-4379

Advocacy, referral and support organization for survivors and users of the mental health system. Promotes greater survivor participation in changing the mental health system, building a supportive survivor community and developing alternative resources as defined by members. Members drop in for socializing and to use resource library, computer, fax machine, photocopier and lounge area. Workshops for member development, advocacy discussion group, social-education meetings. Call for more information about meeting dates, times and locations.
    Let us know if you learn more about support for agoraphobia in Ottawa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agoraphobia Help?

Well, I haven't spoken to anyone directly. I had ordered their brochure via voice mail, as their office was closed when I had called. When I saw that the whole paragraph about the Volunteer Companion Program had been manually crossed out, I figured they no longer offered the service. They still offer the Anxiety Management Workshop - 14 weeks at around $25 a week. More than I can afford right now, even with the waiting list for the reduced rate they offer for people on disability or OW (like me). I'd need a volunteer companion to get me there anyway...

I was pretty distraught at the time, so I promptly threw out the booklet. However, checking their website just now, elsewhere they state:

Currently the ADAO offers the following services, but is hoping in the near future to offer a number of other services it has provided in the past

* Fourteen-week anxiety management program
    * Website
    * Getting Helpletter
    * Toll-free phone line, Local phone support and referral line
    * Educational presentations and seminars for the public, the health services sector, schools, various non-profit organizations, community centers, businesses and government departments
    * The 2005 Spirit Ultimate Tournament
    I'll definitely check with the CMHA, as well as the PSO.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agoraphobia Help?

Well, I haven't spoken to anyone directly. I had ordered their brochure via voice mail, as their office was closed when I had called. When I saw that the whole paragraph about the Volunteer Companion Program had been manually crossed out, I figured they no longer offered the service. They still offer the Anxiety Management Workshop - 14 weeks at around $25 a week. More than I can afford right now, even with the waiting list for the reduced rate they offer for people on disability or OW (like me). I'd need a volunteer companion to get me there anyway...

I was pretty distraught at the time, so I promptly threw out the booklet. However, checking their website just now, elsewhere they state:

Currently the ADAO offers the following services, but is hoping in the near future to offer a number of other services it has provided in the past

* Fourteen-week anxiety management program
    * Website
    * Getting Helpletter
    * Toll-free phone line, Local phone support and referral line
    * Educational presentations and seminars for the public, the health services sector, schools, various non-profit organizations, community centers, businesses and government departments
    * The 2005 Spirit Ultimate Tournament
    I'll definitely check with the CMHA, as well as the PSO.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agoraphobia Help?

But look here under "Programs":

http://www.anxietyontario.com/Program.html

The ADAO provides:
    [list=1][*]Anxiety Management Workshop
    [*]Volunteer Companion Program
    [*]Support Group