Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Existential Therapy: What Can Death Teach Us About Life?

"When we finally know we are dying, and all other beings are dying with us, we start to have a burning, almost heartbreaking sense of the fragility and preciousness of each moment and each being, and from this can grow a deep, clear, limitless compassion for all beings."

~ Sogyal Rinpoche

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're Never Going to Have a Legacy, so Give up Trying

If you know that what you're experiencing now is more important than how you'll be remembered when you're gone, then you can adjust your career to pursue the activities you find personally fulfilling. It's a far better way to live than dreaming of the perfect CV for your gravestone.

Even in the face of impending mortality, some acts have worth: Great love, acts of kindness, exciting experiences, and personal sacrifices for the wellbeing of others contain the best of human existence. They hold intrinsic value, regardless of whether they are remembered.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Many existential thinkers hypothesize that the fear of death is greater in people who do not live up to their potential than in those who fulfill themselves (Yalom, 1980). This thesis leads to the conclusion that therapeutic interventions which free patients from their repressions, so that they will be better able to actualize themselves, will also reduce their fears about dying.”

― Robert W. Firestone, The Fantasy Bond: Structure of Psychological Defenses

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“The main fact of life for me is love or its absence. Whether life is worth living depends for me on whether there is love in life. Without a sense of it, or even the memory…of it, I think I would lose heart completely.”

"In our opinion, love is the one force that is capable of easing existential despair and the endemic pain of the human condition."

― Robert W. Firestone, Fear of Intimacy

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Find Meaning in the Face of Death - The Atlantic

The time between diagnosis and death, Breitbart has found, presents an opportunity for "extraordinary growth." One woman, for example, was initially devastated by her diagnosis of colon cancer-but after enrolling in the therapy program, she realized, "I didn't have to work so hard to find the meaning of life. It was being handed to me everywhere I looked." And that realization ultimately brought her-and Breitbart's other patients-some measure of peace and consolation as they faced life's final challenge.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"It is not the end of the physical body that should worry us. Rather, our concern must be to live while we're alive - to release our inner selves from the spiritual death that comes with living behind a facade designed to conform to external definitions of who and what we are."

- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123