Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Is A Personality Disorder?

Re: What Is A Personality Disorder?

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    It just means that you have had 2 or more episodes of depression. It's historical rather than predictive so it doesn't in itself have anything to say about the likelihood of future episodes.
    Ok thanks. I guess that my psychologists comments concerned me more. On one hand, this is what I've been given in life but on the other, I know it sounds extreme but I'm not willing to live a life of depression.

My psychologist said that I will have depression all of my life but that I'll have tools to deal with it.

And who knows about the Emotionally Undtable Personality Disorder... This is really starting to show it's full colours with external anger rather than internalising it and self-harming. Scary stuff.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    It's really not a good idea to try to diagnose anyone, including yourself, by reading about diagnostic criteria.

The criteria are usually clear enough. The problem is that differential diagnosis - the process of distinguishing between one or more diagnoses which may have some overlapping features - requires a thorough knowledge both of diagnosis and of psychopathology.

The current released version of the diagnostic manual is DSM-IV-TR, which uses a multiaxial system. In this system, Axis I lists diagnoses for an individual like mood disorders, anxiety disorders, etc. Axis II lists any applicable diagnoses for personality disorders. A person may have diagnoses on both Axis I and Axis II. A person may also have more than one diagnosis on Axis I or Axis 2, although it is less common to have multiple diagnoses on Axis II.
    Hi David. I didn't get a notice of reply, so I have not seen this til now. My apologies.

Thank you for explaining about more than one personality disorder. I had to look up a lot of those words like "axis" but I think I get most of it now

My mam died many years ago, though most of the time it feels like just a few days ago. Ever since then, as memories come back to me, I have been trying to understand more about how she had so much power over me and still does have so much power. Every time I do something dumb or something bad happens, it's like she's still here, living inside my head saying those things to me all over again. Quite often my memories give me nightmares or I feel like I'm going to start screaming, and almost always my depression gets much worse for a while, so I hope that the more I can understand, the more I can maybe heal from some of the worst parts. I don't know if my mam had those personality disorders, just that they describe her so well it's really creepy, and if that can help me understand, I want to learn more even if it gets harder at first.

I am not expressing myself very well today, am I?

Anyway, I totally understand a person can't diagnose a mental illness at a distance any more than they could diagnose a physical health problem. Like I said, I'm just trying to understand "what hit me", as the saying goes. I have not been able to see the psychiatrist lately but probably after the holidays, and because there's so little time, I like to have my questions ready before I go in.

Thanks

BB

I didn't get a notice of reply
    Make sure you add the email address forum@psychlinks.ca to your contacts and/or whitelist in your email client.

I found it in my spam folder. I've been getting the newsletter and other notices OK til this last little while, so I didn't think to look in spam til just now.

BB

Following the instructions in my last post above should fix that.

Done. Thanks! I never knew how to keep stuff out of my spam folder til now. Usually the hard part is getting spam sent to it in the first place.

BB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12