Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Uncovering Repressed Emotions

Does anyone have any advice on uncovering repressed emotions?

Are you talking about repressed memories, 2scoops? or feelings/emotions you have that you find difficult to express to others?

The reason I ask is because I have read John E Sarno's books and he believes repressed emotions in the unconscious mind cuases physical symptoms. So I am having trouble dipping into what might be going on, meaning finding out the repressed emotions. He believes repressed anger is the biggest contributor. So, I am contemplating pyschotherapy, but would like to see if someone can help me out first.

With chronic back pain, for instance, the emotional aspect is usually just one part of the problem. Some people may need a personal trainer while others may need a therapist.

Of course, therapy can help one better cope with chronic pain regardless of the etiology.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am using Sarno's research for back pain, nerve pain, and acid reflux. I know his methods work and I know he has 30 years to back that up, I don't doubt that one bit. Plus I've been down just about every known avenue that treats physical problems. I wanted some help, some ideas on how to find some of those repressed emotions. I am thinking of pyschotherapy, because that what Sarno advises. Just don't know any around here in Ohio.

There are therapists that specialize in chronic pain management. The most effective method is still CBT (cognitive-behavioral therapy).
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have a book called Three Minute Therapy. I cannot remember if that is CBT. Cannot remmeber the author right now either. I started reading it, and have not finished it yet.

Of course, doing self-help really doesn't compare to the effectiveness of seeing a therpist. Most therpists incorporate CBT.

This is just a guess, but one way to find a good therapist for this issue may be by contacting reputable pain management clinics:

One recently publicized approach, developed by Dr. John Sarno, a professor of clinical rehabilitation medicine at New York University School of Medicine and attending physician at the Howard A. Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine, proposes a connection between back pain and repressed anger. According to Dr. Sarno, the anger causes the brain to reduce the blood supply to back tissues, resulting in pain. Treatment is based on education. Patients attend a series of sessions that focus on the anger hypothesis. Though the mechanisms by which anger may cause back pain are unknown and highly speculative, many people—including celebrities like radio personality Howard Stern and consumer reporter John Stossel—say they've been helped by Dr. Sarno's techniques.

"While such an approach may help, it's unlikely that any one psychological issue is relevant to all individuals with back pain or any other medical problem," Dr. Rabins says. Our recommendation: Look for a program offered by a multidisciplinary pain center or clinic that offers a variety of diagnostic and treatment services. Such facilities are sometimes accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (520-325-1044). While not required, accreditation offers some measure of assurance that the program is comprehensive.

http://www.hopkinsafter50.com/html/s...A50_easing.php
    I would think that most of the larger hospitals have a pain management center with therapists on staff.

As I see it one does not have a body, one IS a body (hope I translated that well from my own language).

Your body talks and I have great admiration for those people who dare to listen. For me that is the healthiest way and the most effective.

Biofeedback is another alternative that might be used to manage pain.

I prefer to call feelings such as you described "unexpressed" feelings/emotions. E-motions are intended to "move through" the body and when let's say someone "stuffs" or "swallows" their emotions...I believe that these unexpressed feelings "remain" in the body. One of my clients is working through some of these issues and she has been able to work through some of her painful symptoms. However, I explain how she needs to follow through with her medical doctor regularly as well as to make all of her therapy appointments. To you use Suzette's phrase...my client is learning to listen to her body which is something she never learned in her past. She is finding out how it is to feel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast